Amex and Passbook

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I just saw this too, but can't figure out what it does that the app doesn't already do.
This is just the initial rollout. The following is a roadmap of features that American Express is looking to implement in the future (but, as always, is not guaranteed):

- See nearby offers from merchants based on your phone’s location. AmEx has been a leader among the credit card companies in creating offers.

- If a charge is flagged by AmEx fraud systems as suspicious, the network could send a real-time alert to the user’s registered phone number. The user could then enter a PIN to verify the transaction. Or, the transaction could automatically be verified by determining that the phone is in the same location as the merchant. This would help alleviate the pain of false positives in fraud alerts, increasing legitimate transactions, decrease fraud, and decrease customer service calls. Even in the current implementation, simply knowing that a transaction was attempted in Fiji while you’re in Chicago helps to identify fraud.

- Real-time reviews. Once someone has dined at a restaurant and paid, the transaction alert could be used to solicit a review. This would allow AmEx to create a very powerful competitor to Yelp that avoids two of the biggest data problems with Yelp: it ensures that only verified customers can review a business, and it should increase the volume of data collected by closing the loop and soliciting feedback. (Disclosure: I am short $YELP.) As I’ve written before, transaction data makes AmEx the king of checkins.

- Real-time redemption of Membership Rewards points, AmEx’s loyalty program. When a transaction occurs, the notification could offer consumers the option to pay with points instead of with cash.

- Transaction review data for the blind. The real-time transaction information could be spoken to blind customers, allowing them to verify the transaction amount that was authorized and resolve any issues while they are still at a business instead of after the fact.
I'm not entirely sure how AmEx plans to take on Yelp, but the other bullet points sound doable.

got23hops

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
did it just work for you all immediately after filling out the form on your phone? Or was there a delay?

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Thanks for the heads.
Going to give this a try.

Wonder why they are doing this through the web and not their iPhone app.

----------

Working well but how are you guys now checking for passbook apps in the App Store since that option is no longer available within the passbook app?

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Thanks for the heads.
Going to give this a try.

Wonder why they are doing this through the web and not their iPhone app.

----------

Working well but how are you guys now checking for passbook apps in the App Store since that option is no longer available within the passbook app?
Bet American Express saw all the complaints about people not wanting to download apps to add passes to Passbook. :p

No, they probably used a web page because they've lumped it under their American Express Sync program, which syncs deals to your card from foursquare, Twitter, and Facebook; you can only sync your card through the American Express Sync page.

As for the list of Passbook apps, I briefly saw a banner in the App Store that led to a list of Passbook apps (much like there's a banner for Newsstand apps) but it doesn't seem to be up anymore. Perhaps it'll show up again in the future.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Bet American Express saw all the complaints about people not wanting to download apps to add passes to Passbook. :p

No, they probably used a web page because they've lumped it under their American Express Sync program, which syncs deals to your card from foursquare, Twitter, and Facebook; you can only sync your card through the American Express Sync page.

As for the list of Passbook apps, I briefly saw a banner in the App Store that led to a list of Passbook apps (much like there's a banner for Newsstand apps) but it doesn't seem to be up anymore. Perhaps it'll show up again in the future.

Thanks for your reply and the info.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Didn't work for me with my credit card.

But my credit card is issued by my bank but it is still an American Express. So its not a card issued direct from American Express if you see what I mean.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal

JerseyDoug

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
Didn't work for me with my credit card.

But my credit card is issued by my bank but it is still an American Express. So its not a card issued direct from American Express if you see what I mean.
Probably. It's not really an AX card.

sangreal06

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
My corporate card issued directly by American Express doesn't work either, despite it being listed as an eligible card in the FAQ. Oh well

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
It worked for me. It's nice, but has a long way to go. Right now it just shows the outstanding balance and the last few transactions. Cool as a quick way to check these things, but pretty limited.