AMEX Credit - why some $200 and others $100??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fuj, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Fuj macrumors newbie

I have a pending claim for my 2 iPhones with AMEX.
    I've read where a lot of folks have received a $200 credit which obviously is very generous since AMEX did not have to do it. On the other hand, AMEX probably sensed some issue where they did not want to suddenly have a lot of "lost" iphones where they would pay 100% credit for either. There are now a lot of folks that are receiving $100 credits instead of $200. If you remove yourself from the theme that you should just be lucky you got anything, as an AMEX customer I'm a bit irritated. Has anyone been given the reason for the split? If I get $100 instead of $200, I have to ask why since so many other customers received the $200. The fact Apple is giving $100 coupons I'm sure is the reason they are giving. But - that doesn't explain why other folks were and are getting $200 even after the $100 Apple coupon. Has anyone pushed this issue?

2. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Because Apple has made a concession. So why should Amex now foot the entire bill when the "offending party" has already offered some form of refund?

3. Fuj thread starter macrumors newbie

Please don't let this thread digress - I know a lot of folks that don't have AMEX or didn't use AMEX are upset and there's this whole philosophical Apple/AMEX thing going on. If we could please just answer the question without a question that would be awesome!

Thanks!

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think it was answered.

AmEx probably decided to give $100 back after Apple announced the $100 store credit and will give the $200 back to good customers who bitch enough for it.

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Did anyone with a gold card ever receive a $200 credit after the first day?

From the postings, it only looks like Platinum cards got the full refund.

Then again, they pay about $450 / year for that privilege.

6. sanford macrumors 65816

Are Platinums that much now? Good Lord. I quit mine because it was $300 a year. But I also quit traveling for work and had little continued use for most of the special services, so I suppose it's worth it to some people.

Anyway, AMEX price protection is not going to exceed the total of the loss. So, as mentioned above, when Apple conceded $100, AMEX just made up the difference. The fact that some people got $200 and will also get $100 Apple Store credit is the same as AT&T or some Apple Stores handing out $200 credits before Apple established the $100 credit program. A lot of those people signed up for the $100 credit, too, and got it. Not particularly fair that some were compensated $200 and others $300, but it's hard to blame Apple or AMEX. You can always blame the people who double-dipped, but I'm sure it was overwhelmingly tempting as they'll never be caught, it's not what most people consider theft, and it was all of two minutes to get an extra $100 store credit.

You can always contact AMEX or Apple, depending on where you came up short on the $300, and ask for equity in dole-outs, and they might give you special case-by-case treatment, especially Apple trying to keep customers with a $100 store credit. But I expect at least with Apple you'll have to pound on them about it and it probably won't be worth your time and headaches. And they might just blow you off, anyway, figuring it's not their problem if some people "cheated".

7. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

well I think you already answer the question , those that got 200 back called AMEX on the first 2 days, before apple announced the 100 credit. I paid cash for my iphone so I didn't have that option but I did call at&t on the day the price droped and they gave me a 200 dollar credit on my cell phone bill....but i know folks gonna hate on me but I did get my 100 dollar credit as well, used it to get my new red nano.:D

8. sanford macrumors 65816

Kitty, they extended the full refund return window to almost 30 days, so although I was eligible for the AT&T credit and the $100 store credit, when they extended the return period, I became only eligible for, and received, $200 compensation from AT&T.

As for "cheating", I wasn't eligible. I don't know that I could have stopped myself from getting the $100 store credit, too, if I had the chance. I for one don't hate you for getting it while I couldn't. Technically, it was up to Apple to make sure everyone was equally compensated, but they have to do a cost/benefit analysis and they had limited means both cost-wise and legally to investigate prior credits, so that's the way the cookie crumbles... Or the way the red nano gets bought at significant discount. ;)