Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have had Amex Gold Rewards for some years and have used their insurance a couple of times (lower value items) with extremely efficient results.

I have finally found a great iphone 4 (2 phones had faulty proximity sensors, another had a broken microphone) but my standard warranty expires in September this year (last week my phone was replaced). I definitely do not need Apple phone support and all I really need is replacement coverage if this phone ever goes bad on me.

I pay my cellphone bills with Amex and the month I received my new phone I was charged $159 + my cellphone monthly charges.

What advantage would I have in taking out Applecare which is not provided by Amex insurance which essentially doubles the warranty on one's phone (up to a max of 1 year)? I don't see it but perhaps I am missing something.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I could have sworn in the small print Amex actually says it does not cover cellphones for its extended warranties :(.

Not according to this:

Buyers Assurance® Protection Plan1†

Automatically doubles the manufacturer’s original warranty up to one additional year when you charge the full price on eligible purchases to your American Express Gold Rewards Card. This applies to products purchased with the Card anywhere in the world, provided the manufacturer’s warranty is valid in Canada and the U.S. and does not exceed five years. Jewelry, motorized vehicles, and their parts are excluded in this coverage. You will need approval from American Express before any repairs will be covered. Replacement and repair costs are limited to $10,000 per eligible item up to a maximum of $25,000 per Cardmember per policy year for all occurrences combined.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I guess the main difference would be that in the event of an issue Amex would simply send it away for repair/diagnosis, whereas if you had Applecare you could go into an Apple store and get it swapped.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Not according to this:

Buyers Assurance® Protection Plan1†

Automatically doubles the manufacturer’s original warranty up to one additional year when you charge the full price on eligible purchases to your American Express Gold Rewards Card. This applies to products purchased with the Card anywhere in the world, provided the manufacturer’s warranty is valid in Canada and the U.S. and does not exceed five years. Jewelry, motorized vehicles, and their parts are excluded in this coverage. You will need approval from American Express before any repairs will be covered. Replacement and repair costs are limited to $10,000 per eligible item up to a maximum of $25,000 per Cardmember per policy year for all occurrences combined.

Hrm, I don't have that, I just have the extended warranty (I only have Amex Blue) but I just found where it listed exclusions (and they really make it hard to find honestly) and it's not on there anymore. I know it was on there at one time though (pretty sure it was for extended warranties).

The one thing that worries me is that they do say they want proof of purchase and I'm pretty sure I threw the receipt away (as well as the receipt for my Macbook Pro but that is also covered by my insurance for damage and theft ). Actually I went and looked and I kept the receipt (I hope roommate kept the receipt I gave him as I bought his <- he paid me back too).

Sweet!!!!!!!! This means if you have an Amex card there really is no reason to buy Applecare except maybe less hassle (but if you are on a tight budget you still have an option even if you can't justify the applecare).

I still wish my insurance company though still insured cellphones :( (they have an awesome policy where you can insure individual items for damage and theft/loss with no deductable at all but most likely due to people totally abusing that clause with cellphones they removed it. I am betting people bought the cellphones at the subsidized price, magically lost/destroyed them, and got the insurance money for the full price. I always wondered what stopped people from doing that besides being an honest person which sadly I know not everyone is).

Last edited:

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I guess the main difference would be that in the event of an issue Amex would simply send it away for repair/diagnosis, whereas if you had Applecare you could go into an Apple store and get it swapped.

That may well be it. Thus, on balance, if you think you are going to keep your phone for a full year after the expiration of warranty, Applecare may well be worth it for the hassle-free replacement.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
<snip>

I still wish my insurance company though still insured cellphones :( (they have an awesome policy where you can insure individual items for damage and theft/loss with no deductable at all but most likely due to people totally abusing that clause with cellphones they removed it. I am betting people bought the cellphones at the subsidized price, magically lost/destroyed them, and got the insurance money for the full price. I always wondered what stopped people from doing that besides being an honest person which sadly I know not everyone is).

That is a good point - the matter of only having paid the "subsidized" price - and getting your claim fully paid. Obviously I would have to persuaded them that I did pay the full price because in order to get the "subsidized" price I had to sign a 3 year contract wherein the balance of the "true" price was essentially paid off.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
That may well be it. Thus, on balance, if you think you are going to keep your phone for a full year after the expiration of warranty, Applecare may well be worth it for the hassle-free replacement.

I've got the standard Amex green card. But I also got the AppleCare. Mainly because I like being able to just go to the store, get it fixed if needed, and walk out. I don't have to call, wait on hold, email, leave messages, etc. So while I know I'm paying more, I also know I'm paying for convenience. Comes out to about .19c a day.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I have replaced several $300+ video cards when the manufacturer disapeared via the Amex insurance claim process. Check for exclusions but Amex has always had my back on things like this.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
That is a good point - the matter of only having paid the "subsidized" price - and getting your claim fully paid. Obviously I would have to persuaded them that I did pay the full price because in order to get the "subsidized" price I had to sign a 3 year contract wherein the balance of the "true" price was essentially paid off.

But that's the thing, you didn't have to persuade them what you paid for it, only what you'd have to pay to *replace* it (it was a replacement policy).

It was really nice to have and it sux for us that were honest and just wanted that backup in case something went wrong that it went away cause people abused it :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.