Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I made this post previous in the HTC 10 thread. #133 However its relevant here.

-----------

"There is an assumption often used that amoled is best and yet other than maybe Samsung's flagships in my own experience owning so many others, amoled screens are more often than not very flawed. Color accuracy and calibration is often very much off compared to a very good LCD and moreover the white point is usually very much off point with majority of Amoled screens returning a very yellow hued screen. Some are worse than others yet all seem to exhibit this yellow tint (actually even Samsung's 2015 flagships had a pale yellowish whites, especially in basic mode which used to provide the more realistic colour balance previously). The Nexus 6P, yellow tinge, The Moto X Force, yellow tinge etc .... It just seems to be a factor in Amoled screens and personally i really dislike this warm white point. I have had to resort to using screen calibration apps (screen balance) to fix the yellow, but even then they still more often than not, don't match the clean neutral whites of a good IPS LCD.

Likewise other than Samsung, who pushes screen brightness v.high, most Amoled screens are very poor in outdoor sunlight compared to LCD screens. A 2k screen that you can barely see the contents on whilst shooting photos is quite often a frustrating experience.

An example here is the Moto X Style which people complained had moved to LCD and yet compared to its sibling the Moto X Force it actually has the nicer calibrated screen with the force being very yellow, and outdoor visibility is much better on the Style's LCD panel than the Force's 2K Amoled.

So yeah, the technology is far from perfect to declare it automatically better because there are plenty of excellent LCD screens that offer better viewing experience than majority of Amoled screens outside of the Samsung flagship models."

I agree, should've made that clear. Although, I'm guessing that manufacturers like Apple will be asking for Samsung's best displays. I understand some of the Chinese OEMs already have edge phones coming out this year.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I agree, should've made that clear. Although, I'm guessing that manufacturers like Apple will be asking for Samsung's best displays. I understand some of the Chinese OEMs already have edge phones coming out this year.

If they ended up using a similar quality panel as in the 2015 / 2016 Samsung flagships - I don't see how anyone could really complain. However even the Nexus 6P which uses a Samsung panel too, whilst certainly not bad, still isn't as good as those in the galaxy and note flagships. :) So fingers crossed the iPhone 7 if it does go amoled - gets a one of samsung great one and match their metrics.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Samsung have certainly kept the best panels to themselves. The BB Prive uses a curved Samsung AMOLED and even it falls behind Samsung flagships.

SuperAMOLED on my Note 4 still blows me away, from the Galaxy S4 up, Samsung have been unbeatable in Display.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.