Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
A blurb/CV is not a source that can be cross referenced for a consensus and validation.

Being the "go to" source means your findings should always be easy to replicate if they are above refute.

Same goes for the findings you posted, and I don't disagree in the least, if phonearena and anandtech want to retest specifically stating they have automatic mode on and have full sunlight shining on the screen I'm all for it. I'll tell you what, why don't you get in contact with them and set that up.

I'd also be curious what displaymate says when you contact them and tell them they are fabricating test results. That's what I disagree with, the supposition that displaymate is fabricating test results. The things I posted were in direct response to this, specifically to illustrate how utterly absurd the accusations were when you consider their pedigree and the quality of the companies who also rely on their professional reviews. You've not said a single thing to prove this or even to make it sound remotely plausible, seems like the best thing to do here is step away quietly.

What's funny is this is all to prove such a miniscule point on an internet forum. Both the iPhone 6 and the Note 4 have awesome displays, in fact displaymate praised the ip6 as the best LCD display out there, hmm could it be that was fabricated as well?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Same goes for the findings you posted, and I don't disagree in the least, if phonearena and anandtech want to retest specifically stating they have automatic mode on and have full sunlight shining on the screen I'm all for it. I'll tell you what, why don't you get in contact with them and set that up.

I'd also be curious what displaymate says when you contact them and tell them they are fabricating test results. That's what I disagree with, the supposition that displaymate is fabricating test results. The things I posted were in direct response to this, specifically to illustrate how utterly absurd the accusations were when you consider their pedigree and the quality of the companies who also rely on their professional reviews. You've not said a single thing to prove this or even to make it sound remotely plausible, seems like the best thing to do here is step away quietly.

What's funny is this is all to prove such a miniscule point on an internet forum. Both the iPhone 6 and the Note 4 have awesome displays, in fact displaymate praised the ip6 as the best LCD display out there, hmm could it be that was fabricated as well?

It's not a matter of proving which display is better. It's a matter of data and findings standing up to scrutiny and have some semblance of approximation in reality.

That is not the case with Displaymate's findings, where in my own experience is so far from their results that it makes them suspect going forward. You proceed how you see fit, but their claim that the S5 has nearly 600 nits of peak brightness is laughable based upon my 7 months with the S5, where day to day is more inline with Anandtech, and just about everyone else that has gauged brightness, than Displaymate.

Same scenario is playing out with the Note 4 and Edge now.

My wife's hand me down iPhone 5 produces a far more vibrant and usable image outdoors, as did the iPhone 6 I owned for 14 days. It's not even above refute that this is the case for anyone that has had both devices in their hand at the same time, which shouldn't happen if Displaymate's numbers were true.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Sounds like grasping at straws. People are using the Note 4 as GPS on their car dashboard in sunlight without issue so what's the fuss? In the end smart consumers prefer AMOLED's usable brightness with accurate colors, higher resolution, true black, etc. over LCD's excessive brightness but inaccurate colors, lower resolution, backlight bleed, gray as black, yellowing, bad pixel, etc. of iPhone 6/6+. Personally, I never go over about half brightness on Note II and that's not even as bright as the improved Note 4.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's not a matter of proving which display is better. It's a matter of data and findings standing up to scrutiny and have some semblance of approximation in reality.

That is not the case with Displaymate's findings, where in my own experience is so far from their results that it makes them suspect going forward. You proceed how you see fit, but their claim that the S5 has nearly 600 nits of peak brightness is laughable based upon my 7 months with the S5, where day to day is more inline with Anandtech, and just about everyone else that has gauged brightness, than Displaymate.

My wife's hand me down iPhone 5 produces a far more vibrant and usable image outdoors, as did the iPhone 6 I owned for 14 days. It's not even above refute that this is the case for anyone that has had both devices in their hand at the same time, which shouldn't happen if Displaymate's numbers were true.

In my experience displaymate is SPOT on, so that's 2 internet forum users who disagree, thats hardly "a matter of data and findings standing up to scrutiny and have some semblance of approximation in reality.". It's just 2 dudes on an internet forum describing their results. It's just that one of those dudes has the temerity to say that a professional review company is outright fabricating their results to prove his point, without the least shred of evidence and without even relevant reviews disputing their brightness findings for the Note 4, all just based on your personal findings with your eyesight and not even a light meter, come on man.

The S5, I can't comment on that as I don't own one and this thread is about the Note 4 so I don't see the relevance anyhow. It might have terrible brightness in sunlight for all I know, I've never used one in the sun. I had an iPhone 5s for a year and it was TERRIBLE in sunlight, once again that's a subjective opinion from just one internet forum user. The brightness was nowhere usable with the sun shining on it, and using polarized sunglasses further made it useless. If your level of standard is an iPhone 5s in sunlight then I think you've already lost, and stated your level of believability. THAT is laughable.

Anyhow it's obvious you just want to get the last word in, regardless of what value that has. I've said my piece.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Bolded part, hilarious. Here are some choice parts of displaymates resume:

DisplayMate is used by every major manufacturer in their research labs, by hundreds of test labs and service facilities, by thousands of technicians, and by over 100,000 consumers and end users. Via DisplayMate's Consulting Services we assist many of the world's leading manufacturers in developing and producing the best displays and display technologies.

DisplayMate Technologies specializes in proprietary sophisticated scientific display calibration and mathematical display optimization to deliver unsurpassed objective performance, picture quality and accuracy for all types of displays including video and computer monitors, projectors,

He has authored over 35 research articles in scientific journals in physics and computer science, including Scientific American.

he has designed color television broadcast equipment for the CBS Television Network, built a computer mathematical model of a television system for optimizing the camera to receiver performance and accuracy of the optics and electronics for CBS, a leader of a team at Bell Labs Research that built intelligent autonomous mobile robots, designed an all-electronic 360 degree viewing angle imaging laser range finder using the parallax principle, did the mathematical foundation of the fine guidance system for the Hubble Space Telescope, built the accepted standard model of the Milky Way Galaxy (which is named after him), built theoretical high redshift cosmological and stellar models for the Hubble Space Telescope, has done fundamental work on the analysis of clustering and super-clustering of galaxies, plus work in Relativity and nuclear physics

This versus some dude who started reviewing motherboards on Geocities and now works for Apple. Or more specifically Joshua Ho who authored the review, I couldn't find any info on him at all other than being an editor of a hardware review blog site. I don't mean to denigrate anandtech's site, I trust them but as I've stated they most probably did NOT test it in direct sunlight, and even in using words like "in practice" when referring to sunlight brightness it's obvious they didn't.

I'm sorry, but the overwhelming majority of evidence is against these silly accusations against displaymate simply to prove a point on an internet forum.

Maybe he is color-blind? /sar

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
In my experience displaymate is SPOT on, so that's 2 internet forum users who disagree, thats hardly "a matter of data and findings standing up to scrutiny and have some semblance of approximation in reality.

Yeah it is, and when I find that Displaymate is "spot on" with a device I own and live with, I'll let you know.

For now

Display mate's claims

0001.png

Reality

mib1800

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah it is, and when I find that Displaymate is "spot on" with a device I own and live with, I'll let you know.

For now

Display mate's claims

Reality

As time goes by, all the tech advantages of Iphone are being eroded one by one and now the most crucial best display quality is being overtaken, I can really understand why you are so desperate and grasping at air to fight back. By you can't fight and turn back reality no matter what. The more you try to fight it the sillier you will look.

Let's revisit the reality again:-

From Displaymate, at auto-brightness setting the Note 4 goes from 478-750 cd/m2, which gives it a much higher brightness than 6+ at 578.
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm#Brightness_Contrast

From gsmarena, sunlight contrast of Note4 (4.033) is much better than 6+ (3.023) which means you have to bump 6+ brightness higher to match Note4 at a lower brightness for outdoor sunlight condition.

Maximum brightness is usually only used in broad daylight and it turns out the Galaxy Note 4 doesn't need all that much. In our sunlight legibility test it showed an impressive result, virtually equal to the likes of the Note 3 and the iPhone 5 - and better than the brighter Galaxy S5's screen.

The Apple iPhone 6 Plus doesn't do as well as its smaller sibling and while its result is certainly good enough, you'll have to bump up the brightness on a sunny day.
http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_6_plus_vs_galaxy_note_4-review-1161p3.php

From phonearena, the confirmation that the Note4 display even at (manual) max brightness is as good as the 6+ at full brighness
Moving on, the brightness of the Note 4's screen is good, at 468 nits, while the one of the 6 Plus is excellent at 574 nits. However, outdoor visibility in broad daylight is very good on both, as the two of them sport very good and non-reflective glasses.
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-vs-Apple-iPhone-6-Plus_id3815

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As time goes by, all the tech advantages of Iphone are being eroded one by one and now the most crucial best display quality is being overtaken, I can really understand why you are so desperate and grasping at air to fight back. By you can't fight and turn back reality no matter what. The more you try to fight it the sillier you will look.

snip...edited for brevity

I just want you to understand this is not personal. Apple sold 10M iphone 6 on launch weekends. How many flagship phones did Samsung and HTC sell on launch weekend?

Other phones may have some better specs here and there, but apple draws the crowd, in spite of the competition. It seems as iphone advantages are being eroded their launch day sales get bigger and bigger. So someone has a mistaken sense of what is really important in a phone. That is what you have to understand.

mib1800

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I just want you to understand this is not personal. Apple sold 10M iphone 6 on launch weekends. How many flagship phones did Samsung and HTC sell on launch weekend?

Other phones may have some better specs here and there, but apple draws the crowd, in spite of the competition. It seems as iphone advantages are being eroded their launch day sales get bigger and bigger. So someone has a mistaken sense of what is really important in a phone. That is what you have to understand.

I am not addressing the millions of Joe Bloggs out there. Many bought iphone due to dirt cheap price of $199 and herd instinct. Android has an impressive 85% of smartphone market share (which makes your iphone numbers fluff) and many bought due to cheap prices also.

But from a detailed technical analysis, Note 4 screen is BETTER than iphone 6+. PERIOD.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am not addressing the millions of Joe Bloggs out there. Many bought iphone due to dirt cheap price of $199 and herd instinct. Android has an impressive 85% of smartphone market share (which makes your iphone numbers fluff) and many bought due to cheap prices also.

But from a detailed technical analysis, Note 4 screen is BETTER than iphone 6+. PERIOD.

That may be correct, but you still don't understand PERIOD.

mib1800

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
That may be correct, but you still don't understand PERIOD.

That may be correct. I sure dont know why you bring in iphone pre-order numbers as relevant to discussion about display quality. PERIOD.

Desperation maybe? :p

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I sure dont know why you bring in iphone pre-order numbers as relevant to discussion about display quality.

because sales volumes, profitability, and what the masses do even if it's not the brightest of moves makes all the difference in the world when it comes to the capabilities and value of a smart phone when held in your hand. don't you get it?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
because sales volumes, profitability, and what the masses do even if it's not the brightest of moves makes all the difference in the world when it comes to the capabilities and value of a smart phone when held in your hand. don't you get it?

Still it doesn't have to do anything with display quality

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Still it doesn't have to do anything with display quality

but anytime something sells like 10M copies in a weekend, it must be good and the display the best ever made. you must not have gotten the memo.. ;)

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
their claim that the S5 has nearly 600 nits of peak brightness is laughable based upon my 7 months with the S5, where day to day is more inline with Anandtech, and just about everyone else that has gauged brightness, than Displaymate.

The numbers don't have to be wrong to be telling an unclear story. Like plasma TVs these displays are capable of higher output at low "APL." In other words if you have an all black screen with 10% white that white area will be much brighter than a full white screen. And the device almost certainly has to be in Auto "boost mode" to hit numbers over 500 even in that situation.

OLED is going to wipe the floor with LCD in the coming years in every display arena (if you've seen a Note 4 in low-med lighting you already know that it's far superior to any LCD from a picture quality perspective), but right now it still has some limitations as a younger technology. Peak output is one of those limitations. We can see that it's capable of matching LED-backlit LCD, but those boost modes aren't manually accessible for good reason: It's not good for the display longevity.

These issues will get sorted out over the next few years and barring some major developments in LCD tech OLED is going to take over. All this arguing over tiny dE values today just feels like fanboy nonsense. OLED looks better, LCD is still brighter (without having to overdrive the panel) so today it's still a trade. OLED has the potential for image retention, but it's a lot better than it used to be and will get even better. There's even more to discuss, but this isn't avsforum so I'll quit here.

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
DisplayMate has put to the test the color accuracy pitting some of the top displays. And no surprise here AMOLED runs off with the best (Note 4)

I think we can now put to rest (forever?) the endless diatribe from detractors that amoled display suffers from inaccurate color. Couple with infinite contrast and excellent viewing angle, high brightness and now color accuracy, Samsung AMOLED is indeed the indisputable best display.

View attachment 514976

http://www.displaymate.com/Color_Accuracy_ShootOut_1.htm

To be fair this is in the "basic screen mode", by default, Samsung puts it on stock screen mode, which is inaccurate color and super vivid colors, still a great display not disputing that, but constantly having to micro manage your screen modes to the content your viewing is a little annoying

----------

The numbers don't have to be wrong to be telling an unclear story. Like plasma TVs these displays are capable of higher output at low "APL." In other words if you have an all black screen with 10% white that white area will be much brighter than a full white screen. And the device almost certainly has to be in Auto "boost mode" to hit numbers over 500 even in that situation.

OLED is going to wipe the floor with LCD in the coming years in every display arena (if you've seen a Note 4 in low-med lighting you already know that it's far superior to any LCD from a picture quality perspective), but right now it still has some limitations as a younger technology. Peak output is one of those limitations. We can see that it's capable of matching LED-backlit LCD, but those boost modes aren't manually accessible for good reason: It's not good for the display longevity.

These issues will get sorted out over the next few years and barring some major developments in LCD tech OLED is going to take over. All this arguing over tiny dE values today just feels like fanboy nonsense. OLED looks better, LCD is still brighter (without having to overdrive the panel) so today it's still a trade. OLED has the potential for image retention, but it's a lot better than it used to be and will get even better. There's even more to discuss, but this isn't avsforum so I'll quit here.

note 4 display only goes super bright in extreme light conditions (close to roughly 750 nits) but it is designed like this from a engineering perspective and point, Keeping the OLED pixels that bright for long will cause permanent damage to the OLED panel, which is why it only can go that high on Auto-brightness, manual screen brightness control goes up to 450 nits only

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
To be fair this is in the "basic screen mode", by default, Samsung puts it on stock screen mode, which is inaccurate color and super vivid colors, still a great display not disputing that, but constantly having to micro manage your screen modes to the content your viewing is a little annoying

----------

note 4 display only goes super bright in extreme light conditions (close to roughly 750 nits) but it is designed like this from a engineering perspective and point, Keeping the OLED pixels that bright for long will cause permanent damage to the OLED panel, which is why it only can go that high on Auto-brightness, manual screen brightness control goes up to 450 nits only

450 nits is still fine for normal use and don't forget how horrible an lcd screen gets with its brightness and picture turned all the way up.

Black looks like grey and all the colors get washed out.something that has little to no affect of amoled screens.the more juice you gibe them the more pop they give you with there insane clear contrast ratios.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
----------

[/COLOR]

The weird thing is that Anandtech tested the Note 4 with auto brightness on and could only achieve 450ish nits in extreme conditions. I'm curious how DisplayMate got such high numbers.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The weird thing is that Anandtech tested the Note 4 with auto brightness on and could only achieve 450ish nits in extreme conditions. I'm curious how DisplayMate got such high numbers.

I didn't see anandtech's review mention that they specifically tested it in "extreme" conditions, they didn't even state they tested it in sunlight. I believe the phrase they used was "in principle" when talking about sunlight viewability, which tells me they didn't actually test it that way.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I didn't see anandtech's review mention that they specifically tested it in "extreme" conditions, they didn't even state they tested it in sunlight. I believe the phrase they used was "in principle" when talking about sunlight viewability, which tells me they didn't actually test it that way.
Sorry, for some reason I thought I had read that but I just went over it again and am completely wrong! My bad.

Regardless, I am curious how DisplayMate can get such a high number when no one gets closer. Just curious is all.

mib1800

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012

If you like the most accurate color representation set it to basic mode. If you like any other color mode set it to one of the other four. That's call CHOICE. You dont need to "constantly micro-manage" since you only need to choose once which mode is best for you -- unless maybe you are one of those wishy washy person. :p

On iphone you are stuck with one mode - no choice - take it or leave it - and from displaymate test color is pretty inaccurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.