AMOLED Suddently Not So Hot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redman042, Jun 8, 2010.

1. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I've always had my doubts about AMOLED tech (at least in its current incarnation). So much hype behind it and lots of calls for Apple to bring it to their products. They didn't, and I'm thrilled.

AMOLED is bright and contrasty, almost like a plasma TV. It highly impresses on first glance. But dig a little deeper, and lots of issues start to surface. Extremely poor outdoor readability. High battery consumption unless the background is black. Wonky color balance and oversaturation. Banding. This article describes it best: http://www.oled-info.com/nexus-ones-oled-gets-depth-technical-check-turns-out-very-bad

Apple knows better than to go with an immature technology. They go for high refinement and well-rounded usability. LCD has been around a long time, and the LED-backlit IPS screen in the new iPhone 4 is truly cutting-edge. Engadget and others are already saying it "blows everything else out of the water". I can't wait to see it. I'm already enjoying most of the benefits of this in my iPad (except for the density of course). It's beautiful. High contrast, deep blacks, and wide viewing angle. Just terrific.

2. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

And then there's super AMOLED.

http://www.oled-display.net/super-amoled

I believe the Samsung Galaxy S is the first phone that'll use this. The tech behind it is interesting but I'll personally never own a Samsung phone again.

3. ValenR macrumors member

The Samsung s8500 Wave has it too.

Only 2 phones so far iirc.

4. AppleRules macrumors regular

I agree 100%, Retina display is the new standard for displays. Look for competitors like HTC and Nokia to shamelessly copy this breakthrough technology even though I'm sure Apple has patented it.

5. David-fr macrumors 6502

Apple said they were adopting that standard not that the had develop it

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Oh for goodness' sake.

"Retina display" is just Apple's marketing term for a screen that's dense enough that most people can't see the dots.

And not even all that much denser:
    • The 2010 iPhone 4 display is 326 PPI.
    • The 2007 Toshiba G900 (WinMo 6) had a 3" WVGA display with 313 PPI.

Both are over the usually quoted 300 PPI visual threshold.

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

If you're over 45 you won't be able to see it anyway! :) Plus on a 3.5" screen it would be like trying to see the difference between a 3megapixel and a 10megapixel 3"x4" print. You can't turn a cell phone into a desktop or laptop no matter how you spin it or what you put on it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/EPE54B) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

One thing is sure. Apple is great at hype and marketing. The display and retina shows promise but the proof will be in the pudding

9. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Every single person that have seen the demo units, said it looked absolutely incredible.

Please continue enjoying your mediocre android gadgets.

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Screen resolution was one of the things I wanted upgraded on the new iPhone. Apple BLEW my expectations out of the water. I'm definitely in love with the new screen. Almost makes me care less about screen size. Almost.. :p

11. mags631 Guest

Oh, come on.

12. TLewis macrumors 65816

(Nexus one user? lol)

While Apple is indeed great at hype and marketing, virtually everyone who's seen the new iPhone 4 display says that it's looks incredible. Here's another one: http://daringfireball.net/2010/06/iphone_4

13. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

thats no surprise when you show an iphone owner that has been using a 163 ppi screen for 3 years straight. obviously the 326 ppi of the iphone 4 will be much more impressive to that person. to someone that owns a nexus one (252 ppi), moto droid (265 ppi) or an n900 (267 ppi) the screen is still going to be "nice" but won't evoke the same "wow" factor.

14. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

They absolutely are. However at the end of the day, if a product fails it doesn't mean much. As you say the proof will be in the pudding, but what reason is there to doubt it's an outstanding display?

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Hmm. The iPad's 132 PPI display sounds coarse as sand in comparison!

Distance helps. Tests show the human eye starts to resolve alternating B&W lines that are wider than about 2 x distance x tan (arc-minute/2).

This is where the 300 PPI at 12" so-called retinal boundary comes from. The greater the distance away, the larger the pixels can be. Conversely, closer requires better PPI. Close up, most people can discern 600dpi (or higher) printing from 300dpi, for example.

What this means is that we have to hold the iPhone 4 at least 11" from our face in order to match the magical limit. Any closer and its resolution drops under the retinal boundary.

Hold a Nexus One at 14" away, and its 252 PPI has the same apparent resolution to the eye as the above iPhone 4 at 11".

We'd have to hold an original iPhone 22" away, and an iPad 27", to get the same visual effect.

16. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

The reason is, simply put, just for the sake of being a naysayer. Whatever.

As someone else pointed out, EVERY tech reporter that has seen it says it is outstanding, sets a new bar, and noticeably better even compared to the high end competing screens. I know I'll be enjoying one very soon :)

17. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Gruber has a Nexus One so he's aware of the quality of the screen.

18. tnisatard macrumors 6502

people like noah from phonedog or the editor in chief from engadget even praised the iphone screen, and they have used every phone that has game out

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You do know that Apple doesn't manufacture or develop their own panels right?

It is most likely an LG panel.

20. lilo777 macrumors 603

The reason why Apple does not use AMOLED.

As per this article from DigiTimes, the reason is simple: "According to our sources, Apple had spoken with Samsung Mobile Display (SMD) about the possibility for AMOLED panels since the development of the iPhone 3GS, but production capacity remains a big issue. SMD only has the capability to fulfill 50-60% of iPhone orders at the moment even it dedicated all AMOLED capacity to Apple.

Of course, cost is always a concern. AMOLED panels cost US$34-38. TN panels cost less than US$10 and IPS panels around US$20."

So, Apple simply does not have access to AMOLED technology and on the other hand is too cheap (as usual).

21. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

its not a daily driver though, more of just a review unit. you have to remember these tech bloggers are all iphone owners for the most part. while they may try every high end phone for a week most have been using iphones for 3 years straight as their personal devices.

like i said, in my original post im not denying the iphone 4 display is nice just that the perceived improvement can differ depending on what phone you currently use every day. iphone 3gs to iphone 4 will be much more dramatic.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mediocre, ha. You haven't used the android then. I'll not go into the details, as I am on an iPhone forum, but lets just say that I am enjoying the phone and don't forget one size does not fit all. My Nexus One is much better at serving my needs then the iPhone and lets leave it at that.

23. allonym macrumors regular

That might be true if no one had invented reading glasses! I'm 47 and with my reading glasses on I reckon my close vision is really excellent. Without them, well let's say I'm not far off needing longer arms :)

24. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

Okay, but why is AMOLED actually worth choosing over IPS LCD?? Even if they were the same price? What I'm saying is that the IPS LCD, specifically the one in the iPhone 4, is a better overall screen.

25. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Apple uses not simple IPS LCD but FFT-IPS LCD with LED backlight. There are some rumors both Apple and LG developed together this panel for 2 years. Samsung's super AMOLED still uses pentile method which is suck. I found this photo on the internet. Left side is LCD and right side is Samsung's AMOLED with the same resolution. PenTile AMOLED is great for viewing photos and videos, but definitely NOT for reading text. ...... :eek:

Attached Files: