Among 3 Options: Macbook Pro 13" 2.4, 2.53 (Refurb), or 2.66

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lilgoldfish, Jun 11, 2010.

1. lilgoldfish macrumors newbie

I'm torn among these three options.

I'm definitely getting a Macbook Pro 13" for grad school this fall. However, I'm not sure which is the best value for the money spent.

My usage will mainly be web surfing, email, MS office, in addition to Photoshop and Illustrator. I want to learn some video editing on the new computer as well.

For the past month, I've been eyeing the refurb 2.53, whose price dropped after the new upgrades came out. But now, with the back to school deals, now I'm not sure which will be the best value.

Here is the breakdown of these price differences. I am in NYS, and the sale tax of the city I live in is 8.75%

1) Macbook Pro 13" 2.4 with Free iPod Touch. After the rebate and selling the Touch, it is the cheapest option I have, for approx. $1070 with tax.

(I will be getting the new iPhone soon, so I won't keep the iPod)

2) Macbook Pro 13" 2.53 Refurb. It's $1189, but with tax, it can easily add up to be $1295.

(Is the 2.53 CPU worth the extra $120? Plus, it is a older spec.)

3) Macbook Por 13" 2.66 with Free iPod Touch. Again, with rebate and selling the Touch, it is $1398 with tax added.

(Is the 2.66 CPU, and extra HD space worth that money?)

I don't upgrade my computer very often. And I plan to keep this new computer for another 4-5 years while at school.
    Any advices are greatly appreciated!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely #1. The CPU bump is unnoticeable and you get better battery and GPU than in refurb + free iPod

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I would eliminate #2. It doesn't have the 10 hr battery and the slight upgrade in the core 2 duo doesn't make up for the price difference.

4. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

1# is the best deal
    2# your paying extra for less battery/weaker gpu. The 2.53 cpu is almost identical to the cpu in 1#
    3#waste of money for what you get.

1# is the cheapest and best option. will easily last 4-5 years

5. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Stick with opinion number 1. The other two aren't worth the money.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

You can always upgrade the harddrive yourself for less than they sell it on apple. Plus prices are going down anyway.

7. lilgoldfish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for these inputs.

I think I will go with #1, and upgrade the Ram and HD down the road.