Amount of free Memory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by esadb, Sep 2, 2010.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Just wondering what some of you guys are having for free memory under SBSettings? I'm currently seeing 233mb in the last couple of days while before it was usually 300+ and I haven't changed anything...

What about you guys?

2. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

It depends how many apps i have running, after a fresh reboot or respring mine will be at 356mb free then i open a few apps and things and it will drop to about 200mb but it never really goes lower than that because for one reason or another i usually end up having to reboot or respring my phone which closes all the open apps and then I end up with 356mb free again

3. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well I bitesms, settings, phone, email, fb and notified pro and safari running..

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Any specific reason why you are concern about your memory usage? Free Memory is just that - "free" - available for the system to use, if any event is being handle it will be use. I just want to have a better understand of what is your concern so maybe i can have a better reply for you. ;)

5. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Sluggishness of the system. I dont want it dropping lol. I want PERFORMANCE!!

Basically i liked seeing 300+ on there.. Now i dont like seeing this ~240 hovering mark...

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

ok... I understand, however considering that 240 is just below 50% system memory any Sluggishness you are seeing is not coming from lack of memory. When you get to 10% (~ 50mb) then start worrying. My advice.

7. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

See im just curious as to why it drops down that low and doesnt get itself back up if i close APPS?

I think that Notified APP has some sort of memory bug where it doesnt release memory back out once closed.. I dont know maybe im just imagining..

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

250mb is NOT low, that's actually a LOT.

Because it doesn't need to, that is plenty of free memory, no need to kill battery and use additional resources cleaning and calling trash collection or memory clean up script when such a large amount of memory is available.

9. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

And that right there is OCD , you're obsessing over something that will not change how your iPhone will perform.

Just because a program is stored on memory it does not use any extra cpu or battery. You clearly have no idea how the iphone works. Its not really multitasking (with exceptions). The iphone simply saves a "state" that you can return to.

The only things that would lower your battery life would be things that are using push/notification and or true multitasking such as the phone app or an audio stream.

even at 40mb free the iphone 4 does not show any lag from my testing

Get a life and just enjoy your phone

10. elistan macrumors 6502a

The more RAM you use, the less the phone has to dip into slower flash memory. Using more RAM is a good thing. By going from 300MB free to 240MB free, you have 60MB more stored in very fast RAM instead of slow flash. Ideally, you'd want all your RAM used up, so if you happen to launch an app that's cached in RAM it'll come up much faster than having to retrieve it from flash memory, and IOS4 is smart enough to know to reclaim RAM from the least recently accessed application(s) if more is needed.

11. Stormspeed macrumors member

220 MB running 7 apps in background

252 MB after closing all apps

302 MB after a respring

12. soulghost macrumors regular

soulghost

I say you have a problem.....

It's around 360mb after a reboot, and about 320 after closing all apps

13. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

I dont know how a iphone work? LMAO! You do know that the more memory is used up the battery actually gets used more? The power consumption goes up and thats with any electronic device.

The phone APP is always running.. Look under processes you cant kill that. You my friend clearly dont know how the iphone works.

Get your facts right or be quiet. And dont say people dont know how to use stuff when you clearly dont know what your talking about.

14. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

15. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

There was a very well written article by someone regarding RAM and how the OS uses it. I remember this line from the article with respect to how the OS feels about RAM:

Free RAM is wasted RAM

This means that the OS tries to use all the free RAM it can get

Free RAM is no longer a way of measuring performance. Actually the more RAM used, the better the performance.

Don't worry about your RAM unless it goes to zero. The os and apps are using all the RAM they can get.

Thanks
    AE

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL RAM need to be refresh completely ALL THE TIME...no matter if it being used by a program or not, that's why makes it Ramdon Access Memory .....The power comes from the Processor reading and wriding the RAM not from the stage of the memory, get a clue dude

17. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Holy crap you need to go read a book on RAM

18. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Free memory is wasted memory.

19. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

This thread is so full of fail it makes me sad. OP, learn how computers work. Free RAM is NOT a good thing. All this talk about wanting 300MB free, using more power, etc is making my head hurt. Go read a book buddy. Jesus.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly, the iphone 4 has plenty of memory and it will manage it right without you doing anything.
    Dont be OCD about it. You're fine.

Lol :D
    I think its the other way buddy. You clearly dont know how the iphone works.
    The phone app is and always will be on connected to the network(AT&T). If not you wouldnt be able to receive any calls or texts.

21. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Oh I love people like you, always smarter than everyone else... why are you even on here then?

You said it best yourself - "Get your facts right or be quiet. And dont say people dont know how to use stuff when you clearly dont know what your talking about."

22. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Thanks for making yourself look 10x dumber than anything I could have said

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I don't understand this obsession about having large amounts of free ram.

Why do you need masses of ram just sitting there and then having to wait for apps to open?

Wouldn't you rather have apps open instantly?:confused:

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you CANNOT be fracking serious, can you!? you are absolutely 100% wrong if you think that more RAM = high power consumption and you should not even argue the statement for 1 more second, otherwise your reputation will be nullified. you are the one who has no idea, im sorry to say it.

i believe this is the attach that apple uses for both iOS and OSX, no use wasting the expensive stuff!