Amount of RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sean5900, Jun 24, 2013.

1. sean5900 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I have enough cash to go to the Apple store today and buy a Macbook Air! However I was wondering if 4GB of ram is plenty? I only have cash so I can't order online. Do you think 4GB will be enough to last for plenty of time to come?

2. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

plenty of time to come?

sounds like you better get 8GB RAM :D but seriously how much do you use/need?

3. sean5900 thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably not much. This is my first mac in a very long time (power PC days). It would just be for college. I just don't know how much memory OS X needs for smooth performance. But like I said it wont be for much besides school stuff/web browsing. I have a gaming PC for everything else.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your memory requirements are in direct proportion to your needs, i.e., what will you be running. 4G is fine for many tasks, and inadequate for other tasks.

5. checkitout macrumors member

Depends on your usage.

If you are a light user (1-2 apps open at any time, and these aren't memory guzzlers), 4 GB will be fine.

If you are a heavy multitasker (10 apps open), or use VMs (Parallels/Fusion/Virtualbox) to run other operating systems, go for the 8 GB.

In general, since you can't upgrade, err on the side of buying too much RAM. Will also aid your resale value.

6. sean5900 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you order a BTO air at the retail store, and pay in cash?

7. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

If you plan on keeping it for more than 1-2 yrs, then you should get more RAM.

Regarding the BTO at the apple store, you might want to call and confirm they can do that. I don't think they do, though.

8. sean5900 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I went ahead and got the 13in with the 256GB SSD, and 4GB of RAM. So far I can't complain at all when it comes to the performance! I'am a little worried cause they said they would e-mail the recipt to me and I still haven't gotten it. May run back up there today and see if they will just give me a printed one. Just a random question, is there a way to set the backlight on the keyboard to turn off when I'm in a bright room instead of getting brighter?

9. mattferg macrumors 6502

I would've gone for the 8GB - the SSD is upgradeable, the RAM is not.

10. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

The backlight control for the keyboard is on the keyboard itself. I believe it's F5 and F6.

----------

This is true depending what OP is using it for and how long he plans to keep it for (short-term, 1-2yrs).

11. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

4GB is just right for me but I mostly use productivity apps and only light everything else (pictures/video editing, encoding, games, etc.). I went with the base model and put the savings toward an iPad mini.

I think RAM upgrades should always be based on need and not cost since you cannot do it later anymore. If cost is a factor, save up a little longer to get what you really need.

12. sean5900 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I got 14 days. I just realized that I could take this back within the 14 days and have them put everything on a apple gift card, plus the cash I still have left over. With that I could just order one online with 8GB of RAM, and maybe the I7. As much as I love this one I probably will do that. My guess is since the SSD is so fast it dosent make a huge difference when it caches to the SSD drive when low on memory.