Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
The iPad Pro is nearly everything I need to replace my ageing MacBook Air.

It has Coda, Prompt, Office and Lightroom meaning I can do much of the work I'd need when I'm out and about.

However until it can function as a web server for local development it's not going to be able to replace my Mac. I don't need it to be able to serve to other devices, only itself. And I could live with it only running one site / database at a time.

Connecting to a remote server isn't always a possibility, especially when travelling.

Is there a way to do this that anyone is aware of?

Ideally an approved way, but would consider jail-braking (if it's even possible on the Pro?) if it was the only way. Happy to spend a reasonable amount of software if required.

I guess, ideally, I'm looking for something like MAMP for iOS.

Thanks.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
That's a good damn question. I can't really answer it with any technical knowledge, so head over to the iPad Reddit and give this question a shot there.

I've been using a Remote Desktop for the stuff I can't do natively on my iPad. How ya liking programming on the iPad? Im learning Python on mine with pythonisa. Diggin it! Apple needs to get cracking with that iOS 10 in June to bring more functionality

Reactions: Osty

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
I was wondering this my self as I'm going through the motions of wondering if I can migrate to iOS as my primary OS.

If you're prepared to replace your P(HP) with P(ython) and MySQL with SQLite, then I think that running something like AMP would be possible with Pythonista, which seems to include the HTTPServer classes.

http://omz-software.com/pythonista/docs/library/basehttpserver.html

I haven't tried it yet on my iPad mini, but will have a crack at it later today for my own curiosity as much as anything.

I'm a technical writer and web developer by trade so work for me is mostly text editing (be it prose or code). At worse case, I could carry around a battery powered raspberry pi and use that as a portable server/workstation.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I could, it looks like a perfect device for that use case, but there's two big problems.

1. I prefer Linux
2. Newegg won't ship said device to Australia

Well. It will run Linux. But I'm not sure about shipping. You should be able to find them there. Somewhere.

Reactions: Osty

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Well. It will run Linux. But I'm not sure about shipping. You should be able to find them there. Somewhere

Agreed, neither of my problems are insurmountable. The more I think about it, the more I reckon that it's the way to go.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
If you're prepared to replace your P(HP) with P(ython) and MySQL with SQLite, then I think that running something like AMP would be possible with Pythonista, which seems to include the HTTPServer classes.

Sadly not. All of our client work uses an established Apache, MySQL, PHP workflow. Changing that to suit one developer's choice of device is not an option unfortunately ;)

Interesting. I'm going to investigate this. Thanks.

Has anyone jailbroken iOS 9 yet? not that I'd do it if they had.

Honestly, a battery powered Raspberry Pi or Onion Omega is more viable as a portable testing box.

The point isn't a testing box. I have many testing boxes. I'm talking about using the iPad Pro to replace my current MacBook Air. The only thing currently stopping that is that there are times when I need to do some local dev when I have no available network - usually whilst travelling. With the Air it's easy. Spin up MAMP do my work, commit the changes and push them when I have a connection.

If I was replacing my Air with an iPad Pro I wouldn't want to have to carry something else in addition to it.

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
The point isn't a testing box. I have many testing boxes. I'm talking about using the iPad Pro to replace my current MacBook Air. The only thing currently stopping that is that there are times when I need to do some local dev when I have no available network - usually whilst travelling. With the Air it's easy. Spin up MAMP do my work, commit the changes and push them when I have a connection.

Fair enough. That would be a pretty kick-ar$e use case

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
hmm, so maybe port over a html editor with a built in testing server.. hmm.. wonder if this would be against the rules if the "server" only ran locally and only while the editor was running..

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I'd be content with a good code editor that has ftp built-in for file retrieval. I'm getting a cellular one (and I have a 30 gig data plan thanks to a deal AT&T offered a year ago) so I could access a development server remotely. I'll have to see if Coda has improved since I last had an iPad (sold my iPad 3 two years ago).

rwp

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2015
LA, CA, US
I'd be content with a good code editor that has ftp built-in for file retrieval. I'm getting a cellular one (and I have a 30 gig data plan thanks to a deal AT&T offered a year ago) so I could access a development server remotely. I'll have to see if Coda has improved since I last had an iPad (sold my iPad 3 two years ago).

Textastic is a fantastic code editor IMHO that natively supports opening files from FTP, WebDav, Dropbox, iCloud, and Open In... sources. I also use it with Transmit as more fully-featured FTP client.

Reactions: Ghost31
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.