Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I know Logic comes loaded w/ samples and soft-instruments...but is there a built in amp simulator? If so is it any good?

Just wondering if I'm going to have to shell out for Amplitube or something like that.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
I know Logic comes loaded w/ samples and soft-instruments...but is there a built in amp simulator? If so is it any good?

Just wondering if I'm going to have to shell out for Amplitube or something like that.

Yeah, they have it. It's horrible.
Softube's amp room's very good. What kind of style(s) will you be making/recording?

MezicanGangxtah

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Denver,CO
Yeah, they have it. It's horrible.
Softube's amp room's very good. What kind of style(s) will you be making/recording?

why is it horrible? i kno the amps in garageband are ok..but whenever i hook up my guitar to my MBP the sound is all full of buzz and hiss and thats what sucks..then again im recording straight into my MBP just using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to do so, and I heard that was what causes it to be so dirty. BUt if i buy an interface do you think this problem would go away?:confused:

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
why is it horrible? i kno the amps in garageband are ok..but whenever i hook up my guitar to my MBP the sound is all full of buzz and hiss and thats what sucks..then again im recording straight into my MBP just using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to do so, and I heard that was what causes it to be so dirty. BUt if i buy an interface do you think this problem would go away?:confused:

No. It's just a horrible simulator. You're much better off buying third party amp simulators. Again, Softube's stuff are very good. Amplitube's alright for heavy stuff. Guitar Rig 3 is good for its effects, not so much for its amp+cabinet simulation. I've not tried Waves GTR3, though people say good things about it. Same for Peavy's Revalver which is supposed to be good.
I'd love to suggest Digidesign's Eleven, but that's of no use to Logic users.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
No. It's just a horrible simulator. You're much better off buying third party amp simulators. Again, Softube's stuff are very good. Amplitube's alright for heavy stuff. Guitar Rig 3 is good for its effects, not so much for its amp+cabinet simulation. I've not tried Waves GTR3, though people say good things about it. Same for Peavy's Revalver which is supposed to be good.
I'd love to suggest Digidesign's Eleven, but that's of no use to Logic users.

I unfortunately don't have access to sound right now but from the looks of things....Guitar Rig 3 looks pretty hot but kind of schticky w/ all the famous names/sounds. Amp Room looks a little more serious but also restricting. What I mean by that is they've broken everything up into different (but equally expensive packages). It would be nice to have that feedback simulator included for the price of the amp room...

Also they have metal room as seperate for the heavy stuff. Does Amp Room still have heavy sounds but just not as over the top as Metal Room? Obvioiusly Amp Room looks nicer w/ the graphics and is classier than Gtr Rig but that means nothing unless it sounds as good as it looks. Unfortunately w/o sound I can only go by the graphics...:)
It definitely "looks" more Pro than Guitar Rig....but I have heard great things about Rig 3.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Well, I just very quickly got into an old unused session and put amp room on a dry signal. The clip I attached is as heavy as it can get, which will not be enough for some people. Mic position is pretty much on the speaker cone.
You've given me the impression from other posts that you're pretty experienced. So I've got a feeling you won't be happy with the Gtr Rig 3 amp simulation, but as I've said before the effects are really fun.
A combination of GR3 and an amp simulator would be my pick, if it's affordable. You could always use distortion pedals in GR3 without any amp or cab sim, then insert a quality amp simulator after it.

Apologies about the clip quality but I didn't have much time.

Attachments

• quick_amp.zip
    690.6 KB · Views: 92

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I'll give it a listen as soon as my MBP arrives. This old PC I'm forced to use right now (not mine) doesn't agree w/ its soundcard. :mad:

Thanks I'll look into it. Noticed they also have Metal Room and some kind of feedback processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.