Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CityMunkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
London, England
Can anyone help me??

I have just bought my first Mac, a 20" iMac G5 with inbuilt iSight. I am trying to get it to work with aMSN but I keep getting the message which says 'you are behind a router or a firewall' etc.

I understand I need to do some 'port forwarding' (whatever that is...) and when I log in to configure my router (about which I know very little, though that is probably apparent), the information it asks for is as follows:

1. Service - options are
(i) select from a long list including AUTH, DNS, HTTP, HTTPS etc etc, or
(ii) manual service, which will let me type what I want

2. Protocol - options are TCP or UDP

3. External port (port or port-port)
4. Internal port (port or port-port)

5. Server IP address

I would be so grateful if anyone can shed any light on the above. I have also disabled the firewall put in place by my ISP.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!

:(

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I just use DMZ - it forwards everything to my main Mac.

Thing is, if you're just using aMSN etc, your router should handle this all automatically.

What type of router do you have?

CityMunkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
London, England
I have a Wanadoo LiveBox...

Is there something else I am missing?? I don't really know about this stuff.

Thanks for your reply Andy, just sent you a private message on this (sorry to bother you!)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmmm, you get the grabber window and it says in red that you're behind a firewall, right? That's actually not an error message. Just ask the other person to accept the webcam invitation. aMSN should work fine behind a firewall. At least it does in my experience... Sometimes there's goofiness -- I have one friend with whom Mercury works with no mangling of prefs, and aMSN does not, but everyone else works fine with aMSN. And nothing is open on the OS X firewall, plus I have my AEBS....

So are you sure you actually have a firewall issue?

CityMunkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
London, England
Firewall

Well it also says something about IP-Restrict-NAT and listening:false...

None of my webcam friends are online at the mo so I can't double check...

pavloskgr

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
Port forwarding

Hey,

to solve the problem you have to :

first go to manual service. Choose protocol Both(TCP and UDP)
Then the ports that must be open start from 6890 and end to 6900(external 6890 and internal 6900 or the other way round). At the IP address you have to enter the address of your iMac.Find it in System preferences - Network.
Last but not least you have to enter the name of the application that you open the ports for. That will be aMSN. Click save and test that you have everything correct go to aMSN preferances , others tab and click configure Webcam!

I hope u get it done............

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
The Wanadoo LiveBox is terrible. Go out and buy a decent router now (well maybe tomorrow cos its dark in the UK-but there's always Amazon!). The reception is terrible from the LB. I can access my wireless in my freinds house (over the street). My friend can't access his Livebox (~10 meters). Seriously.

CityMunkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
London, England
Here's hoping..

Thanks guys, am going to try that right now... (the config thing, not the buying of a new router - wouldn't know where to start...)

CityMunkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
London, England
:(

It didn't work... What should I type in the 'manual service' box? And there is no option to choose both in the protocol box - have to pick one or the other...

Does anyone else know what I'm doing wrong??

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.