Amtrak Train Derails Outside Of Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, May 13, 2015.

1. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It's sad situation and my heart goes out to family members of the fallen!

However I am wondering if speed in corner might be the problem or poor tack maintenance.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The AP just reported that the train was speeding at/around 107mph while nearing that curve. Whether they were at that speed at the curve they don't know...

But bloody hell.. even the TGV was safer than that around turns in France.

BL.

3. aaronvan, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

My liberal friend is on Facebook blaming the crash on the Republicans. You know, infrastructures, etc. :rolleyes:

Reports say it was traveling at 107 MPH on a 50 MPH curve.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I was going to bring up something like that, but this isn't PRSI, and not all of the facts are available, so I'm glad I held fire.

Back to it, though.. the AP just reported that the curve has a limit of 50mph. The train was in excess of 100mph when it hit the curve.

While infrastructure is a problem (though not contributing to this incident yet), This looks more like operator error, and that puts Amtrak as liable.

Did the operator of the train survive the derailment?

BL.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So the question is operator error or mechanical failure. Or sabatoge?

According to the AP the engineer refuses to talk.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The engineer lawyered up. Probably a prudent course of action.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_AMTRAK_CRASH

7. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My hypothesis is that the engineer either fell asleep or was texting/using internet right before the crash.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is my guess as well. They are saying he pulled the emergency break right as they entered the turn. But by that point it was too late to even begin to slow down and probably escalated the derailment.

9. Happy Snowman macrumors newbie

Happy Snowman

That's my hypothesis too. I tend to lean towards the sleeping guess – the engineer said he remembers "nothing" about the crash – but it's all speculation at to point.

The story is terrifying for me because I was very close to moving to Philly for a position, and I would have very likely been a frequent SEPTA (local train system) passenger.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Seriously? You're now terrified of trains in general because of a single derailment?

Do you drive?

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If anyone asks "why is the government running a train line" the answer is Richard Nixon. He did not want the American passenger railroad to expire on his watch, so nationalized a number of private railroad companies and created AMTRAK.

Blame Nixon.

12. Happy Snowman macrumors newbie

Happy Snowman

I don't think I ever said I was terrified of trains in general. I was just commenting that, on a personal level, I could have been a regular on that rail system. Which meant I could have been on that train or any train like it...

I know planes, trains, and automobiles crash. My dad nearly died in a passenger plane that was feet away from colliding with an airport terminal. I still fly. I've had friends who've died in auto crashes. I still drive. I'm not naive, but I'm also not so terrified I can't live a normal life.

I don't want to go on any further about this here, as it seems a bit tasteless.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

My parents often visit us via Amtrak. It's nearly as expensive as an airplane ticket, the trains are always late, and the three-day ride is exceedingly uncomfortable. Sometimes I wonder why they put themselves thorough the ordeal.

14. kendall69 macrumors regular

Actually .....THIS IS REPORTED ALSO , - He obviously felt oppressed by all the straight people onboard and decided that the only way to stop feeling oppressed was to kill all who oppressed him. If you criticize him for this, you are obviously a homophobe.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3289560/posts

...Wonder what he was doing while his train was speeding along at 106. Hmmmmmm I wonder???

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Operator head space and timing. A few years in jail should adjust that.

16. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

How fast can an Amtrak train go?
    Is 107 near top speed?
    Is train capable of accelerating from 50 to 107 MPH in a minute?

17. ucfgrad93, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Preliminary reports say there was no mechanical issue that would have caused the crash.

Investigators are looking more closely at the engineer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/06/02/ntsb-report-amtrak-crash-philadelphia/28348719/