Amzer iGlobe Charging Dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SpeedxRavi, Jul 1, 2010.

1. SpeedxRavi macrumors newbie

I think I found a good dock for the iPhone 4:

http://www.amzer.com/Amzer-iGlobe-Charging-Dock-P88125.htm

If you look at the second picture, the part that plugs into your phone has a sliding mechanism to work with different Apple products. The description says it will work with a case on.

Has anyone tried this one with the iPhone 4? If so, how well does it work?

I think I might have to try this one out as I am buying a bumper, though it is a bit pricey at $35.

2. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I like it. Please write a review when you get yours.

3. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

If Apple made a couch,

it would look like that.

Interesting dock though. Sean

4. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

All,

The iGlobe works with the feather case! It has a sliding mechanism so I think most cases should work. It also worked with my iPad with the Apple Case on. While the dock is somewhat big and bright white, it does the job. I don't think I will use it much to charge my ipad as it was hard to align the ipad with case into the dock without some focus. I do miss the Blackberry docks you can just drop the phone in. Attached is the pic.

Attached Files:

5. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

6. SpeedxRavi thread starter macrumors newbie

When you pull the iPhone off, does the part that slides move? I hope it doesn't slide real easily because I wouldn't want to constantly adjust that.

I bought a Kensington charging dock but at $30 dollars it seems expensive and I'm going to return it. I am thinking about buying this one from the above link by Sparrky.

7. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

No, the slider doesn't move easily. You should be ok there. This dock was more at $34.95 but good for people who have ipads and iphones...

8. pikkashoe macrumors regular

9. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Can you tell us the approx. dimensions and weight?

10. Waflsk8s macrumors member

is there a dock that holds the phone sideways so I can keep the phone as a desk clock or something?

11. SpeedxRavi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes there is: Kensington Nightstand Charging Dock. This is the one I am currently using. You can download a free app that was made to be used with it called Rise&Shine.

Check my review here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=960074

12. Waflsk8s macrumors member

$30 for a thing that just sticks to the charging port? For that much I may just build one out of LEGO bricks or something.

13. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

The 17 dollar ones from ebay do support i4's wearing a bumper. So they seem to be a good cheap alternative!

14. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Nice! looks like a great alternative to other docks. Thanks OP and sparky for the ebay deal.

15. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

The ebay one looks shorter to me and doesn't say anything about the iPad so I would be careful if buying this for the iPad. But it looks very much like the original except for the lack of a cable and possibly lack of support for the iPad. KEWL

16. SpeedxRavi thread starter macrumors newbie

I returned my $30 Kensington Nightstand charging dock and bought the $15.50 black dock posted by Sparrky above.

It works just as expected. Sliding mechanism is great, it doesn't move easily, which is a good thing so you don't have to readjust all the time. Much better value than other charging docks.

I don't think its the same one as the Amzer iGlobe, there is no name on the dock, but it doesn't matter as this is working great.

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Could you post some pictures of it please?

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Looks like cheap, like 1960's cheap. All you need is girl in gogo boots and and a bean bag chair;)

19. blugel macrumors member

i bought one from ebay, and i cannot get it to work with my iphone4 with the bumper on.

the iphone sits too high to make a connection.

dhartung02, did you buy one and have it work with a bumper?

20. Raegor macrumors member

21. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

no, the seller confirmed to me that it did work with an apple brand bumper.

22. blugel macrumors member

hmmm, not sure what to think of that.

the problem is that the plastic sliding piece that houses the dock connector is too big to fit into the recessed part of the bumper around the port.

in other words, the same problem as all of the other dock connectors with this bumper.

joy.

23. voltaicass macrumors newbie

Just wanted to bump this (no pun intended) to see if anyone got that item off of eBay to work with an i4 bumper?

24. mortfe macrumors regular

Dimensions

Does anybody have the size in inches for iGlobe? Waiting 2 days for answer from Amzer. You guys say big, they say not too big. Thanks.

25. iFiend macrumors 65816

4.5 inches in diameter (measured across the bottom of the dock)

Approximately 2.5 inches tall at its tallest point

Let me know if that works, I can measure other areas (it's sitting right next to me on my desk at work)