Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
Hong Kong
I bought an iPhone 6 128g from a well known operator in HK - CSL1010 by signing a 24 month contract and committed to pay US$71 (HK$557) per month which added up to US$1704 for the entire 24 month period. I also bought the Apple Care Coverage for Accidental Damage from start which costed an additional US$89.
At first, it was great and mainly due to the long battery life of the iPhone 6 until one day I went on holiday and had a bad fall with my phone in my back pocket. The phone was inside a LIFEPROOF NUUD case as well ...
The new iphone was bended and was taken to one of the APPLE Store in Hong Kong for repair. Due to the fact that the phone was damaged and can not be turned on, I was asked to take the phone to other service center - Telecom Service One (a few blocks away) and the only reason which was given was that my iPhone was bought from CSL1010 and not from Apple Store so I need to bring to other service centre instead of the official Apple Store.
I went to this new service centre after a few days (a long wait in an electronic queue of this new service centre) and this service centre took my phone after VISUAL inspection and collect US$70.71 for phone replacement charge under APPLE CARE contract.
The disaster came after around 4 weeks from this unknown service centre, Telecom Service One, stating that they can not replace the phone for me because I had breached the contract condition of the APPLE CARE program for opening the iPhone by unauthorised personnel......
Since then I wrote many letters to APPLE and TELECOM SERVICE ONE and of course telephoned the APPLE SUPPORT centre to ask for proof on how APPLE can determine that I have opened the iPhone by unauthorised personnel. So far, I have no written response and I have already waited for over THREE months. One of the registered mail to APPLE HK was even returned and therefore I was ignored by APPLE HK.
Anyone have experienced this before? I just can not got over the fact that APPLE HK and APPLE ASIA are ignoring customers. For sure, if APPLE has the hard fact on how my phone was opened by unauthorised person, they should share with the client himself?
There is NO reason for me to open the new phone by unauthorised personnel because I bought the APPLE CARE but if I asked someone to repair the phone due to urgency matter, APPLE should still fix the PHONE for his customer? For sure, APPLE is not selling the phone as a disposable item and hence they should repair.
The only conclusion up to now is APPLE HK and APPLE ASIA is not doing their jobs and try to blame everything on their customers.

Last edited:

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Sorry, it appears obvious to me that you or someone you allowed, open your iPhone. Therefore you violated Apple Care terms and conditions and they have no obligation to honor your request.

Reactions: ABC5S

Apyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
Hong Kong
Tks for your comment for which I do not expect anyone to response to my misfortune. To be honest, I have not opened or let anyone to open. Another thing is why APPLE HK and APPLE ASIA is trying to avoid me by NOT giving me a formal response and they should also repair the phone which I paid for it through one of the formal channel. I was a true APPLE user but perhaps not any more for being accused for nothing. Why it appears to you that the phone was opened by me or any unauthorised person? I would like to know please?

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Tamper sensors in the phone can not be repaired/replaced in the field. They must be repaired/replaced by Apple. Also, authorized service centers will log the serial number with apple when any repair is done on that phone. Unauthorized repairs can not be logged into Apples database.

Reactions: ABC5S

Apyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
Hong Kong
Tks again but APPLE HOTLINE informed me verbally that components was missing .... if there is a log, they can just tell me in a formal note but none of this happened. Missing components could caused by my fall and dropped from the phone - as mentioned it was bended as a result of the fall. Afterall I have had no convincing statement from APPLE HK and APPLE ASIA. May I also ask whether APPLE has the obligation to inform his customer, especially for me who bought the top model at the time?

Apyw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
Hong Kong
I do not like people losing money for any aggressive customer commitment - APPLE CARE ACCIDENTAL PROTECTION but who should be given the benefit of doubt? It is quite obvious that my phone was damaged to such a state that APPLE may have trouble to fix the phone but to give me a new phone. However they chose to give the benefit of doubt to themselves... against an ordinary customer like me.

Hofstede

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2014
I bought an iPhone 6 128g from a well known operator in HK - CSL1010 by signing a 24 month contract and committed to pay US$71 (HK$557) per month which added up to US$1704 for the entire 24 month period. I also bought the Apple Care Coverage for Accidental Damage from start which costed an additional US$89.
At first, it was great and mainly due to the long battery life of the iPhone 6 until one day I went on holiday and had a bad fall with my phone in my back pocket. The phone was inside a LIFEPROOF NUUD case as well ...
The new iphone was bended and was taken to one of the APPLE Store in Hong Kong for repair. Due to the fact that the phone was damaged and can not be turned on, I was asked to take the phone to other service center - Telecom Service One (a few blocks away) and the only reason which was given was that my iPhone was bought from CSL1010 and not from Apple Store so I need to bring to other service centre instead of the official Apple Store.
I went to this new service centre after a few days (a long wait in an electronic queue of this new service centre) and this service centre took my phone after VISUAL inspection and collect US$70.71 for phone replacement charge under APPLE CARE contract.
The disaster came after around 4 weeks from this unknown service centre, Telecom Service One, stating that they can not replace the phone for me because I had breached the contract condition of the APPLE CARE program for opening the iPhone by unauthorised personnel......
Since then I wrote many letters to APPLE and TELECOM SERVICE ONE and of course telephoned the APPLE SUPPORT centre to ask for proof on how APPLE can determine that I have opened the iPhone by unauthorised personnel. So far, I have no written response and I have already waited for over THREE months. One of the registered mail to APPLE HK was even returned and therefore I was ignored by APPLE HK.
Anyone have experienced this before? I just can not got over the fact that APPLE HK and APPLE ASIA are ignoring customers. For sure, if APPLE has the hard fact on how my phone was opened by unauthorised person, they should share with the client himself?
There is NO reason for me to open the new phone by unauthorised personnel because I bought the APPLE CARE but if I asked someone to repair the phone due to urgency matter, APPLE should still fix the PHONE for his customer? For sure, APPLE is not selling the phone as a disposable item and hence they should repair.
The only conclusion up to now is APPLE HK and APPLE ASIA is not doing their jobs and try to blame everything on their customers.

In view of your case, the following points are noted:-
(1) The vendor of the above trade appears to be CXL1010 instead of Apple HK and Apple Asia.
(2) It is very likely that CXL1010 is obliged to fulfil all terms and conditions agreed by both you and itself, instead of Apple HK and Apple Asia.
(3) The return of your registered mail indicates the undelivery of your mail to Apple due to reasons, including incorrect address or name of recipient. This does not necessarily means APPLE ignores you.
(4) Based on what you have mentioned, it appears to be a dispute between you and the maintenance/repair centre on terms and conditions, which may require legal intervention.

Comments on your experiences are as follows:-
(1) In general, as an Apple fanboy, I am sad to hear your bad experiences with your iPhone.
(2) However, based on how you relates the whole picture to Apple HK and Apple Asia, you are likely to be thinking in a typical narrow-minded and irrational Hong-Kongese mindset, which I encountered before while I was working in Hong Kong. Your self-centredness, ungrounded accusation, and exhaustive complaint owing to the high price you emphasised at the beginning of your post reveals you are no difference with the uneducated.
(3) I encourage you to initiate a protest in Hong Kong regarding your case, as the culture of exaggerating and irrational accusation in Hong Kong is not unpopular.

Reactions: Goatllama and HEK

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
This makes no sense. Apple as far as I know handles support and service. I don't understand why you would have to go to a carrier store for service.

Reactions: melman101

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I do not like people losing money for any aggressive customer commitment - APPLE CARE ACCIDENTAL PROTECTION but who should be given the benefit of doubt? It is quite obvious that my phone was damaged to such a state that APPLE may have trouble to fix the phone but to give me a new phone. However they chose to give the benefit of doubt to themselves... against an ordinary customer like me.

I am afraid you are fighting a battle you will not win. Apple is quite good at detecting unauthorized repairs. Maybe someone opened your phone before they sold it to you.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This is a difficult situation. It's easy to assume the OP is full of it because it's easy to assume Apple is infallible. I have no idea what their repair process is, but I can only imagine that, technicians being human, there can be mistakes made when assessing a device as well. Or, it can be a case of dishonesty, for whatever reason, on the technicians side too.

Either way, the best you can do is continue contacting Apple on the matter. I can tell you that your situation is far from typical. Of course, should you be absolutely telling us nothing but facts, that doesn't really help your situation.

Frankly, I have been on the wrong end of warranties before (not with Apple) so I know how it goes. Sometimes you are just screwed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.