Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
So Apple is doing everything but TVs and appliances.
Sure their appliances would sell like hot cakes but I am sure an Apple TV would be more prevalent.

Would you guys purchase an Actual TV made by apple if it was available?

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
No. And it doesn’t make sense for them to make one.

It may not make sense given that they may have to outsource some of the components and the fact that the tv box works well but there would be some people out there who would have an apple tv in every room in their house.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Last edited:

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
In terms of design, gosh yes. It would be beautiful. It would be beautifully built and i'm sure that its sound quality would be decent too. Now, Apple is the only tech/electrical company that I buy - ATV, iPhone, MacBook, AirPods, software - iTunes - Music - Film - vlogs, Photos, FCPX, Logic, Pages, Keynote.
No, in terms of with the Apple TV box, I upgrade it every 2 years or so when the new one comes out. TVs every 10 years I guess. We have the LG OLED and its picture is great but i'm still not happy having an LG in the house. I guess that I remember when it used to be a cheap and crappy brand and even to this day, i'm sure that these LG and Samsung TVs last longer than 5 years before they need replacing.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
In terms of design, gosh yes. It would be beautiful. It would be beautifully built and i'm sure that its sound quality would be decent too. Now, Apple is the only tech/electrical company that I buy - ATV, iPhone, MacBook, AirPods, software - iTunes - Music - Film - vlogs, Photos, FCPX, Logic, Pages, Keynote.
No, in terms of with the Apple TV box, I upgrade it every 2 years or so when the new one comes out. TVs every 10 years I guess. We have the LG OLED and its picture is great but i'm still not happy having an LG in the house. I guess that I remember when it used to be a cheap and crappy brand and even to this day, i'm sure that these LG and Samsung TVs last longer than 5 years before they need replacing.

The High End LG TVs & Samsung's are great TVs.
Why do you upgrade your Apple TV every 2 years? There are significant changes to do so?

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
The High End LG TVs & Samsung's are great TVs.
Why do you upgrade your Apple TV every 2 years? There are significant changes to do so?
I buy the new model eg ATV 4K replaced the 4 after 2 years and of course, my ATV 4 replaced the ATV3 - the 4 compared to the 3 offered app store, 60 fps which was important to me, better processor, better remote, better security of course through tvOS which offers monthly OS updates etc.
[doublepost=1548684503][/doublepost]
It doesn’t make sense bc TV margins are razor thin.

Same discussion elsewhere:
Apple TV (actual television) Closer to Reality

I don't believe that margins are razor thin on TVs as here in the UK, LG are very very dishonest with their pricing. They inflate their OLED TV price upon release. For example the C8 was £3000 upon release in May. Then by July it dropped to £2700 then £1999 and then by black Friday, it was £1499. So imagine the margin on the over inflated £3000 price! (especially when it was 2500 dollars upon release).

I've got to admit that i've never seen over inflated pricing like this before and I find it rather offensive and highly unprofessional. Maybe that is the culture of LG?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
TV market is a loosing thin margin battle. With iTunes/Airplay deploying across the full gamut of Sammy/LG/Sony. There is nothing for Apple to differentiate with.

Reactions: JBaby

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
They would probably make it so expensive that it wouldn't make sense. Better to buy another brand and attach an apple TV box. And then it would go the way of the homepod.

lvavila

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
So Apple is doing everything but TVs and appliances.
Sure their appliances would sell like hot cakes but I am sure an Apple TV would be more prevalent.

Would you guys purchase an Actual TV made by apple if it was available?

No. I buy streaming boxes every few years because the technology advances. I will not buy a new TV the same way. Buying an AppleTV TV is like reinvesting into a cars built in GPS. Mobile devices will always remain fresh while a cars built in source becomes stale.

For know I will buy a high end dumb TV from 2-3 years and power it with the latest streaming technology (AppleTV). Forget 5,6,7,8k and 3D.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There has been an Apple Television rumor for about 15 years now.

Every few years the rumor comes back, but never materializes. I doubt it ever will happen.

Profit margins for TVs are so small, that the smart TV OS made by the manufacturers might be going away due to the costs involved with R&D and maintenance related to the software.

With this being the case, Apple pretty much sticks to stuff with high profit margins, so probably no Apple Television, at least in the form as we know it.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I personally think they dropped the idea as the 'design' element these days means that all TV are starting to look the same. A screen, practically zero bezels. Out sourced screen, competing against screen makers, zero margin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.