An alarm clock?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Simple Living, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Simple Living macrumors member

I just bought my first Mac on January 1st. An iMac. I love it!

I was just wondering if you can use it as an alarm clock? I can't seem to find anything about it. Is this possible? If so, I'd be so grateful if someone could explain where to set it.

Thank you.

P.S. You were all right. Once you buy a Mac, none of the concerns or fears you may have had before you bought it matter. Mac just works! I tell people that having a Windows computer is like buying a car... and not getting to drive it. Mac really is the full computer experience!

2. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

3. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I use a program called Awaken. It had a good interface, tons of features, and works well. Just google it.

4. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, Army Knight. I didn't think to check for a download. With all the shareware out there, surely there must be one for free?

Thanks again. I appreciate the suggestion and will certainly use it if I can't find anything else.

5. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks bjett92.

Being that I'm without an alarm clock for tomorrow morning, I'm trying the trial download of Awaken. Why doesn't ANYTHING with Mac come with instructions? Why do they expect you to figure it out for yourself? There's nothing about how to set it in the Help section either. I'm sorry, I'm frustrated. I'm just trying to get to bed so I can wake up at 4am.

I just can't figure out how to set this thing. Once I set the alarm, do I leave it up and then just put the iMac to sleep? I'm trying that, but it's not working.

Also, when you set it to wake up to iTunes music, is there a way to choose which music? It doesn't look like it.

Anyone with any other suggestions?

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I find Alarm Clock 2 to be a great program to use, and it's free. It just sits there in your menu bar, a simple drop down menu from the icon gives you all the options you need to set an alarm clock, including which days it's set to go off and all sorts of great stuff like that. As well, it includes many of your standard alarm clock sounds that you can add to iTunes and use to wake you up.

7. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll try that. ArmyKnight recommended it but I didn't notice that he linked to Alarm Clock PRO instead.

8. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

The program I use is simply called iTunes Alarm. It's free and I love it and have never had problems.

9. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Aurora is a fantastic free iTunes alarm clock

10. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I used Alarm Clock 2 at first but have now switched to Awaken. I like the Full screen feature of Awaken as my mac is across the room and I can see the time when the screen is on.

Awaken and Alarm Clock 2 are both fairly easy to set up. I had use Alarm Clock Pro for a while and I always found it buggy and over featured for the alarm clock functionality i needed it to do.

11. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I concur, although the newest version isn't free anymore.