An alternative to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ungraphic, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

As the thread title says.

Is there any software out there, thats as library feature rich as iTunes, or like a Foobar imitation for mac without all the BLOAT thats become of iTunes?

Basically, I just want an mp3 player ONLY. I don't need nor do I want support for ipods, iTV, iPhones, Apps, music stores, wireless speakers, podcasts, tv shows, ringtones, or any other crap thats become of itunes.

I *just* want a simple application to display my library in an organized fashion with radio support and is LIGHT on system resources.

Any advice?

Personally I think apple should go back to the drawing board with iTunes or just rename it to iMedia.

2. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

The best one of all those is Songbird, however its based on mozilla (i believe?) and is a bit bloated itself. I had it installed not long ago to see its memory usage and its quite high as well.

I'm really hope iTunes gets a serious optimization with the release of Snow Leopard. When I'm working on, ya know, important stuff and have music running in the background, I don't like running a massive application just to simply play some mp3s.

3. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Songbird comes to mind. I've downloaded it and used it a little bit but ended up switching back to iTunes as I need iPod syncing.

4. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

Oh! Pick mine! PLEASE! Windows Media Player!!!

5. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

+1

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280