An alternitive idea for push notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Davidtrippy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Davidtrippy macrumors newbie

Davidtrippy

I had this idea of an different way how the iPhone OS shows notifications. One way would be that instead of having a text box, we would have the status bar lower down and display a certain color, that the user has chosen to distinguish between apps, and have the notification text just simply scroll along. Just like how we can exit to the home screen while on a call, recording a voice memo or tethering our iPhone's. Just an simple idea that might never come true... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

At least that is not obtrusive unlike the current one.

3. Davidtrippy thread starter macrumors newbie

Davidtrippy

Also if possible, can someone can make a Photoshop mock up of this? Would really help ;)

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

How would this be handled in full screen apps, though? Like a game?

5. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

6. heyp macrumors 6502

i think someone else here posed this idea before... it's a decent idea but i've noticed that some 3rd party apps don't handle the shrinking screen space that well

honestly, they should just copy android's notification system

7. Davidtrippy thread starter macrumors newbie

Davidtrippy

We could have the game shrink down a bit to fit the notification or just simply play a sound and vibrate. Really I haven't thunk this through as much.

8. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Hah doubt that will happen, Apple don't copy they innovate :p so they say :p

9. garethjs macrumors 6502

Ya I have to admit the damn notifications are really disturbing now that I get lots of them. What you suggested would be ideal.

10. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Perhaps in games that take up the entire screen, it can have the overlay be less opaque and only show up for a second or two, then you can choose to see it by tapping the top?

All I know is push notifications are great, but those popups are really, really annoying. Even for text messages.

11. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

12. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

I like this idea. I usually have my phone on vibrate so, BeejiveIM + super fast responding friends + phone on vibrate = iVibrator.