An American Iphone in London

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sotofish, Apr 24, 2009.

1. sotofish macrumors member

I just ordered a 3G 8GB iPhone from AT&T (I know... should have waited but my 3 year old RZR just wasn't cutting it anymore).

I am going to London for a week next month and was wondering how things work. Do I need to set something up with AT&T to be able to call home (California)? Does the $30 data plan work wherever you are (can receive email etc. in London)?

Thanks for any thoughts, this is my first 'smart' phone and I don't know what to expect...

2. koollectablz macrumors 6502

Going by your thread title I'd be expecting your iphone to be ****ing Jenny Agutter within 15 minutes of landing @ heathrow.

3. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

It'll work but you'll be stung for the privilege of it. Check your data roaming charges before turning it on. Otherwise get a PAYG O2 sim and activate the web and wifi bolt on, it costs about £20 in total.

You'd be looking at extortionate amounts otherwise.

4. pauliphone macrumors regular

you won't be able to use the o2 sim in your iphone though unless you jailbreak as it will be locked to at&t...

5. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

So much for the "benefits" of GSM being able to roam internationally, eh?

6. lrdiaz macrumors member

Before you leave, call AT&T and add International Roaming capabilities. You will have two options, .99cents or 1.29c per minute of incoming/outgoing calls.
    For international data, including email & web, you have three options, and I believe the bundles are for 10MB, 50MB, or 100MB. Starting @$25.00.
    Have a great time!

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Roaming works fine. Nobody ever said it would be cheap.