an American iPhone moves to England?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DanJ, Jul 17, 2008.

1. DanJ macrumors newbie

So I am looking to get an iPhone 3G, but I will be moving to England at the end of the year, so will need it to work there on O2 as well. Talking to AT&T and Apple reps they seem to be suggesting that it wont work, and it wont get unlocked and hardware problems and stuff, but it seems like they may just be yanking me around cause they don't really know or just want me to buy two.

Would anyone know about switching an American iPhone from AT&T to O2? Has anyone done this on the original iPhone? I assume the technical hardware would definitely work on both networks, but am not sure. Does anyone know for sure that the hardware would work on both networks?

I also assume I would have to unlock the phone myself (even though I am moving from one apple approved carrier to another apple approved carrier :confused:) but does anyone know for sure?

THANKS!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They want you to buy two?!

Unlock it. Hardware works fine. Unlock it and do what you please.

3. DanJ thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to hear. Apple was going off about FCC and different regulations in the UK and it would be incompatible and such. Obviously there would be different regulations, but I couldn't see how it would actually not work.

4. DanJ thread starter macrumors newbie

But - do you have experience with it working on both networks, or are you just assuming?

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It's the same device no matter where it's sold around the globe, so yes, it should work if you unlock it.

6. lukecutforth macrumors newbie

Did it work?

Hey DanJ
    Just wondering if you were able to use the iPhone in the UK?
    And also which version of Iphone you were using (eg: 3gs)

Thanks

Luke

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well his post is 16 months old so for sure it wasn't a 3GS. And he may not see your question.

But to reassure you, if you unlock an AT&T iPhone, it will work with an O2 SIM in it (or Vodafone, T-Mo, Orange. Also Three if it's a 3G/3GS).