An American iPod Touch in London

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by barr08, Jan 24, 2008.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Actually, not London (I thought the thread title would be a distinguishing cinema reference - I was probably wrong), but elsewhere in Europe - Amsterdam and Brussels to be precise.

I want to buy an iPod touch here in the states before I go to Europe for spring break, and I was wondering if the wifi would work the same way there as it does here in the US. I imagine it might be useful, I don't think my blackberry will work over there, so it would be nice to have a way to communicate with the people I'm meeting without going to an Internet Cafe. I assume big tourist areas have many wifi hotspots, though I could be wrong.

I don't know much about traveling, so if this idea is stupid, let me know and I won't buy one for the trip.

Thanks!

2. mrzippy macrumors 6502

Loads of WiFi hotspots in the UK, don't know about the continent...

Expensive for pay as you use though.

3. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

As far as I know, the wifi should work anywhere!

4. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i ask myself, how is it with the warranty? what do you do if you have a problem that you need to send in the ipod touch?

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I lived in Germany back in 2005 and I used the neighbor's wifi (legally, relax) on my 12" Powerbook without any problems.

6. eddietr macrumors 6502a

It will definitely work. I used my iPhone in Germany and the UK last July.

I used the worldwide boingo plan at $40/month. That worked pretty well and got me into most of the pay WiFi services except for T-Mobile.

In Germany and the UK at least there were very few free WiFi hotspots. Most required a subscription or purchase. (or the Boingo plan). The only free one I remember that worked for me was the Apple Store.

But the nice thing was being able to use boingo roaming in my hotel on their wifi without paying them $20/day for that.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

go ahead and buy one, do a search here: http://www.hotspot-locations.com/ for hotspots (dont forget to tick the Only Free Hotspots box ;)) where your going and your set

8. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Nothing really to add to the Touch discussion, but just thought I'd toss this idea out there as an alternative: if you want a cheap communications device, consider an EEE pc instead. for 3-500 USD (depending on configuration), you'll get a .9kg package with 7in screen, and a decent keyboard, built-in WiFi, 3 USB ports, etc etc. If you want a pocketable device, then ignore this, but for the same money as a Touch, you could get a much more versatile communications device if a micro-laptop form factor is tolerable.

9. GlennH macrumors newbie

I did a search on my local area and if the results are any indication of the overall accuracy of this database, I'd say don't rely on this too heavily. Several inaccurate listings (some say "pay" when they are actually free), and missing ones that I know about. I'd update the information if it was in a wiki form, but I'm not going to get into sending a bunch of e-mails.

10. dazed macrumors 6502a

I used my Canadian Touch in London this xmas (actually used the apple stores wifi signal since i was in the neighbourhood :) )

It worked great.

11. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Thanks for all the tips. This boingo thing seems interesting, I may look into that.

As for the iPod, I now have no excuse not to get one :D

12. dyagnyl macrumors newbie

Thank God You Asked That Question

I had the exact question. I will be in London and Amsterdam this Spring Break as well and wanted to know the same about the Touch. I just ordered mine a few hours ago, I cant wait. Hey thanks for askin the question, I hit you back in the coffee shops!

13. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I'll be the one walking around aimlessly, staring at my iPod, looking for free wifi.

14. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

You know,Amsterdam has many other things to do that would be heapsore fun than walking about looking for Internet. Seriously, why not enjoy the town a bit?

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

OP, I'm not sure about Euorpe, but I'm in Japan right now and all the Wifi networks I have tried work on my iPod Touch and on my MacBook.