An Android Phone as good as iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jimbo1mcm, May 11, 2013.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I am looking for an Android phone that is as good as my Iphone 5 and I still can't find one. The Galaxy S4 and the HTC One have their own problems. The OS is still fractured and Verizon is crazy slow with updates. My Ip5 gets its updates with no problems. If I could find an Android phone that works on Verizon, has a pure Android system, gets updates without carrier interference and has no bloatware, I would certainly try it, but I wouldn't give up my Iphone. Maybe something will surface at the Google event, but I doubt it. Fall is coming and maybe an improved Android phone.

2. nizmoz macrumors 65816

If you don't like the s4 or htc then there isn't one you will like. Maybe the Note 2. But doubt it.

3. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

there is no android better than iPhone 5 right now. Both HTC One and Galaxy S4 were unimpressive.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I like my Nexus 4. I don't have a 5 but the Nexus 4 is almost identical in screen quality as my 4S using the same picture side by side.

I'm sure there are other phones who could be a nice replacement also.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Probably want to post here. But to answer your question, the Nexus line gives you pure Android. When I was choosing a smartphone, the only two I really considered was the iPhone or the Galaxy Nexus (now the Nexus 4). Ended up choosing the Galaxy Nexus as it fit my needs better. Would like to go iPhone one day, but Apple's current offering of iOS simply isn't that that great IMO. But to each his/her own.

Is that the script given to you in the iPhone manual to say when "Android" is brought up?

Try harder next time :rolleyes:

6. cuzo macrumors 6502

Wait for the next Nexus maybe. And if you want quicker update by a developer version and bypass carrier delay.

The iphone is a great all around smartphone. I like mine alot. Better than android to be exact but that's just my opinion, we all have our own.

7. 617aircav Suspended

I had an iPhone 5 and have it up for the HTC one. The 5 is a good phone but I just prefer android.

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

It's only natural for Apple users to prefer what they have.

9. cynics macrumors G4

You'd have much better luck with your question on an Android forum or in the alternatives to iOS section here.

Your hold up will be wanting to stick with Verizon. As a Verizon user I think most of their phones are handicapped by them. Even the iPhone 5 can't do data and voice on their network (regardless of it being a hardware limitation to a certain extent).

Regardless don't expect pure Android out of the box from them anymore. Google will only make a singular Nexus anymore (like the 4) to be a world phone and that will only happen on a GSM network. Even when Verizon had the Galaxy Nexus they still botched up updates. Updates were released MONTHS after the GSM variants got them. The Verizon Xoom NEVER got Jelly Bean like the wifi version did.

I digress however if the S4 and One aren't doing it for you then you are SOL IMO. :)

10. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Especially with that username, we can happily ignore his comments.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

thats your opinion but to me the S4 is light years ahead of the iphone 5.

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

as long as you're on verizon, you're going to be waiting a very long time. the galaxy nexus was a disaster.

13. Krimsonmyst macrumors 6502

Wouldn't expect anything different from someone called 'Applefan4'. :p

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

What do you mean the OS is "fractured"? I got my first android phone a couple days ago. It was released more than 2 years ago, and is running Android 2, but it still runs the latest apps, and apparently tech writers say it has a way better notification center than an iphone does. Now fast forward to Android 4, it's supposed to have great multitasking, even run 2 apps side by side. The OS is anything but fractured.

I still prefer iphone and it's OS, but saying android is fractured is a joke.

15. Krimsonmyst macrumors 6502

Ios is actually more fragmented than Android is. Older phones will get newer features, either by carrier update or by mods.

IPhone's, however, will miss our on new features purely because Apple wants you to upgrade. Why doesn't the iPhone 4 have siri? Apple tells you it's because the hardware can't support it, but jailbreakers and modders have gotten it working flawlessly. Same with maps flyover on the 4s.

People are under the impression that ios has no fragmentation problems because all the phones get updates (eg. The iPhone 4 will get a fast update to ios 7), but in reality, while the software version might be updated, older models miss out on a huge number of features.

16. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

lol, I read the 'n' in the username as a 'g'. thanks for pointing out my mistake.

17. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Any reason why you want an Android phone? Doesn't sound like they will fit your given criteria.

18. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Wrong. Android is very fragmented.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And hmophobia isn't funny or accepted on this forum regardless of how you try and mask it. :rolleyes:

20. cynics, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

cynics macrumors G4

Oh come on. Whether what you say is true or not you cant exclaim "wrong" then not say why or how. Just looks like a child stomping their feet and yelling "no".

21. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

Actually it had nothing to do with "homophobia", but you are right, I should not have expected people on a forum to get an "inside joke" I have with a gay family member. I was actually pointing it out to her as an example of someone being gutsy with their username, and she pointed out my mistake. We had a huge laugh over it and I posted without thinking.

I in no way was intending to be derogatory, but I see how it could be taken that way. I need to think things through before I post "off the top of my head".

Again, I apologize if my post offended anyone........and for being off topic.

22. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Why doesn't the nexus S have expandable notifications and lock screen widgets? (Both the nexus and iP4 came out in 2010). If you say "there are apps", well, there are apps that do what siri does in appstore too.

----------

If you can live with no updates for a while, i would suggest the HTC One. Solid build, decent camera, 32 GB storage, and this time it is super snappy even with sense. Also sense is very clean and "classy".

At least that is what i would do once the price drops a little lol.

23. cynics macrumors G4

Those things are a function of Android 4.2+. I believe the Nexus S updating stopped at 4.1.2.

The apps it has still get updated like maps, chrome, etc etc. But it won't get another version of Android so obviously it won't get the new features associated with OS upgrades.

You can always root it if those are must have items but the Nexus S is outside Googles 18 month window so I wouldn't expect anything official.

24. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Facts are facts dude. Been proving many many times here. Just search.

25. cynics macrumors G4

A simple "I'm just trolling for an argument" would have sufficed.

Maybe fragmentation was an issue back in the froyo days but not so much anymore. Higher versions of android 3.0+ are compatible with near everything above and everything below.

Personally I don't care what settings > about > version says. If I have the latest OS I should have the latest features or else what's the point?

I can nearly guarantee my 4S will get iOS 7 but it will be missing new software features. The only difference to me will be an OS that lags severely, that's my upgrade....lag. Oh and being able to prance around saying "la de da latest OS no fragmentation here".

Personally I'd rather just stick with iOS 6 (which I will till I get a 5S) just to to prevent the annoyance like the 3Gs had, the 4 has and the 4S is getting.

The fragmentation argument has always seemed blown out of proportion. It surprises me how many apps aren't optimized for the iPhone 5 screen but iPhone people will still yell fragmentation.

Ah well, that's my opinion but that might be because I never had a problem with fragmentation. Maybe you have? Which device and what apps?