An app for accessing OSX files?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by d00by, Apr 11, 2011.

1. d00by macrumors member

Hi,

I have limited storage on my 16 GB iPad. I have tons of comic books in PDF, cbz formats stored in my mac mini.

Can someone recommend an app which can access these files on my mac from my iPad over my home wifi?

I have good reader app but it seems to be only able to upload fies to my iPad FROM my mac. This can get to be tedious. I want to be able to access my whole OSX file system FROM my iPad anytime I want without having to physically do stuff on my mac.

2. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Not really sure about accessing the whole file system but maybe you could use dropbox and share all the folders you want to access?

3. d00by thread starter macrumors member

I have a free account which limits storage to 2 gb. Also, I just want to access my mac file system through my local wifi home network. I don't want to waste Internet bandwidth uploading/downloading to/from cloud storage.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is what you are looking for:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8

I was introduced to this in the comicbook thread. Installed it and had access to all my files within minutes. Including those on my WinXP box. It is that easy.

I am in the same boat as you with only 16gb. Lots of Comic Books and PDF files. Now I have access to all them!

5. d00by thread starter macrumors member

Just to be sure, I can transfer files to my iPad not JUST view them???

I.e. I launch filebrowser app on iPad, connect to my mac and then I can transfer the PDF file on my mac to an app on my iPad like good reader, iBooks?

6. rhett7660, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

7. d00by thread starter macrumors member

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I hear yeah. I found out about it yesterday and looked it over. Bought it and have not looked back.