an app to delete duplicates?

Trance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
in my music collection I have a lot of duplicates, it would be took quite a lot of time to delete the doubles.
Is there a decent app out there to sort out the copied files and delete them for me?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
in my music collection I have a lot of duplicates, it would be took quite a lot of time to delete the doubles.
Is there a decent app out there to sort out the copied files and delete them for me?
There are reasons why you may want to keep some duplicates. iTunes considers items duplicates if the song name and artist fields match. They may be from different albums, have different lengths or bitrates, be different file types, be live or studio versions, etc. There is no software that can make those determinations for you. The safest method of dupe deletion is manual. With any other method, you run the risk of deleting something you didn't intend to delete.

Skyrim

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
There are reasons why you may want to keep some duplicates. iTunes considers items duplicates if the song name and artist fields match. They may be from different albums, have different lengths or bitrates, be different file types, be live or studio versions, etc. There is no software that can make those determinations for you. The safest method of dupe deletion is manual. With any other method, you run the risk of deleting something you didn't intend to delete.
Agreed. And if the duplicates do not take much disk space, you can just leave them alone.