An appeal for car help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sikkinixx, Apr 12, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well I have gotten some good car advice on this forum before so lets try to make it 2 for 2.

Today when I got home and parked my car that chime that continually goes off when you leave your lights on or the key in the ignition when you open the drivers door won't stop. I took out the key, turned off the lights but it keeps chiming away over and over and over. When I close the door it stops.

The real problem is now I CAN'T lock my doors!!!! When I try to lock them, they simply pop back open. If I push the lock button, they open again. If I lock them manually, the open again. So now I have a car the chimes even though the key and lights are out AND it won't lock.

I tried disconnecting the battery, opening all the doors and lights a few times, and so far nothing has worked. I'm kind of at a loss. I don't wanna want to drive anywhere now since I can't lock my doors when I wanna park it (thieves are everywhere you know). :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It's a 91 Toyota Celica if that helps at all.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't know of any permanent fix, but for now, you might try disconnecting the battery and manually locking the doors. It sounds to me like the car thinks the key is still in the ignition, so perhaps something is stuck in the wrong position in the ignition slot. The doors unlocking automatically is so that you don't accidentally lock your keys in the car.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Worst case scenario, you'll have to replace the ignition switch/cylinder (or whatever the part you stick the key in is called by Toyoder).

4. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well I found out that if I go around to the passenger side and open the door then lock it, it stays locked. Kind of a pain in my ass but for now it will work till I figure this one out. :eek:

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Well, I suspect it would have something to do with an ECU (Electronic Control Unit). I am not sure if toyota uses this type of electrical system with ECU's but in my Land Rover there are a number of them. One of them is for just the windows and sunroofs. Another is for locking and lights and a couple other things I believe.

Bad ECU?

I dunno, just a suggestion for something to look into. I am sure your toyotan electrics are not nearly as retarded as a rover's.