An Apple is an Apple is an Apple? Are Apple products commodities?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kockgunner, Oct 9, 2008.

1. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Judging by posts on these forums, it seems that people are always selling their laptops for newer ones or getting them replaced under warranty. Whatever happened to owning a single computer for at least a couple of years? There are no more bragging rights about "this Powerbook has lasted me for half a decade." It seems like everyone is expecting their Macbook Pros to break down so they can walk into an Apple Store and getting them replaced under warranty. Same with iPods. They're becoming cheap and disposable as a Kodak disposable camera. Every year, they come out with new ones and people keep on buying them and replacing their old ones. Sure, Apple users are usually more attached to their Macs than average PC users, but are we attached to the particular physical product or just to Apple's brand? Are Apple's products so good that we have to upgrade every few months or are they becoming commodities like bread and butter?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yea ive noticed alot of people do seem to buy everytime a new one comes out (i personally think thats wasteful both financially and resource wise) but its deffinatly not the majority of people here.

When I get my macbook I will be using it all throughout college guarenteed, and assuming I dont buy myself a graduation present it will most likely have to last 5 years. Of course if snow leopard is going to be as good as it sounds so far, that wont be much of a problem other than living with the knowledge that your computer its "outdated" (thought still easily capable of your day to day useage)

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'd say its just good marketing. People now know the upgrades come once or twice a year. They salivate and buy impulsively.

Its just a computer guys.

4. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

its the accelerating rate of product innovation. its a marketing scheme. the next is always bigger better more luxurious. more buttons, more whistles. for the true apple lover, the one who cares more about the operating system and specs over the case design, they will keep theirs for years. however apple is becoming a status symbol, and to be "cool" you cant have an old toy. even if you just got that toy 6 months ago.

if you can afford to upgrade and you have nothing else to spend your money on, then more power to ya.

if not. be proud of your mac, and take care of it.

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

hahaha its JUST a computer? then please explain WHY you are on this forum? :D

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Mega +1

7. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I have had my G5 (in my sig) for a solid 4 years and the thing is still trucking along. I have also had a 17" G4 PB for a good 3 years that has been all over the world and still works well. I hate carrying it around as it is way to big and heavy, but it was given to me so I can't complain too much.
    I am hoping to replace it with one of the new MacBooks before the end of the year.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I hope to keep this Macbook for ever and ever. Will buy the extended AppleCare for it soon. If I do buy a new computer it will be a desktop to go alongside my Macbook.

9. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

its not about being the cool kid with the newest generation item.
    well maybe for some...

but for others...
    the updates are needed in certain lifestyles.
    the avid video gamer whos got a mac needs to get that latest graphics card to run the next gen games.
    the designer needs the new chipset so they can load X amount of ram and render things quickly
    video edit
    web browse

whatever the case may be. the software has learned to take full control of the hardware, thus rendering models a year or two old...useless.

10. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Im an Apple whore! No point in denying it.

I have had most iPods, not because i want to collect them, but i used my other ones so much they would be getting a little worse for wear!

I have had my current 2.0Ghz BlackBook for nearly 2 years now and im now waiting to see whats what on tuesday to get a new MBP.

Apple is an amazing brand and people trust them to always give the best they can, and they show they care about the products they make! I will always stay with Apple, and always want the best there is... i think a lot of people will say they same as well!

11. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Yeah, that's pretty funny about the perceived "cool" factor. If they're trying to be cool, they aren't.

Cool is an Alvarez with an old worn down fret board.

Cool is a 12" iBook that's so obviously unique that people ask "is that new one they'd heard of".

Cool is not myself.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Nah, I'd replace that with a the PowerBook 12", it'll be the same smae shiny Alu but much more compact.

I don't have any reason to 'upgrade' any of my hardware, everything still works just fine!!
    Time to make this bit@ch earn real money!

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well because being on a Windows/Linux forum to discuss OS X problems wouldn't make a whole lot of sense now would it?

Believe me, I love my Mac, but I don't have wet dreams about the latest and greatest hardware.

14. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Don't judge "most people" by the behavior of enthusiasts online. I find that "normal people" -- friends and coworkers who aren't particular enthusiasts -- keep computers until they're broken down and they must spend money to upgrade.

15. Habusho macrumors 6502

I think we gotta say that Apple does a hell of a job marketing their products. Their designs are always improving, they just create a lot of excitement. I myself have purchased the last 3 MBPs:eek:

16. kockgunner thread starter macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Wow, I just came back from school and there are so many good answers.
    Still, I don't get why people upgrade with every revision like Merom-->Santa Rosa-->Penryn. I know Santa Rosa is not a processor by the way :p

17. buyusfear macrumors 6502

Moore's law