An argument for all those wondering if you should wait for the update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacnApple, Feb 23, 2008.

1. MacnApple macrumors newbie

Heres a little something to stir up the forum on a slow Saturday night. Is anyone with me in my feeling that I could care less about the bump to Penryn in an updated MBP. In fact, I believe the only change that I would require to update is multitouch. My argument is as follows:

I have waited for 4 weeks like many of you (and I know some much longer). It has tested my will power and many a time I have questioned what I am doing. However, tonight I stand before you with more resolve than ever that waiting is the right thing to do. Now why is this? Well I don't wait in hopes for a .2 GHZ bump in processor speed or a black MBA keyboard or 1/4 thinner MBP or 10% better battery life or even more pixels on my screen. I am waiting for multitouch and I think this is the one thing that keeps many of you here also waiting.

I think all of us here can agree that the MBP right now is a very fine machine. More than competent to carry out our computing needs. But an update is looming and the addition of multitouch is HUGE. I believe that multitouch is the future of Apple; the centerpiece around which they will base all future notebooks. Something this huge is worth the wait.

Consider these situations below and I think your true feelings and determination to wait will shine. Only a few more weeks!

If Steve Jobs called me tomorrow at 10 AM and told me that an updated MBP was coming out this Tuesday morning (the 26th) with all of the things I mentioned above but that it would NOT include multitouch.....I can promise you I would be at my local Apple store at 10:05 purchasing the current MBP.

Steve Jobs calls me tomorrow and says multitouch will be the only new feature added to the MBP and it won't be coming out until March 17th. I would thank him and patiently wait until March 17th. (of course getting on MR.com to tell you all about it)

I think if you would do the same as me in both of those situations, you can wait it out with me. I don't want to purchase this 8 mo. old model when in 4 more weeks, I think we are assure a multitouch MBP. I would freaking beat myself up over the fact that I couldn't wait 4 more weeks for such an awesome hardware feature. Plus, I bet that Apple will be able to add software updates in the future to further inhance the abilities of the multitouch.

Now for those of you who haven't seen or used the multitouch, well you're missing out. I went to my local Apple store and tried it out on the MBA and it is AWESOME. I absolutely loved it. Browsing the web or in coverflow with the swipe of your fingers is sweet. I just don't know what else to say about it. Just another creative invention from Apple that differentiates its products and makes them that much better than the rest. Now who else is with me?!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i would agree that the multi-touch should really be the only thing people are looking forward here to. i don't think the the upgrade we will see will be significantly improving upon the machine that we already have readily available for purchase

3. EricVT macrumors member

4. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I AM WITH YOU!!!​

This is going to be my first Mac too, but I'm all for the wait. Good things come to those who wait, right?

5. tokiidokii macrumors regular

i like using my wacom intuos...

to be honest, multi-touch seems like just novelty to me personally. i dunno, i'm truly happy with my mbp and i've only had it for 3 weeks. i don't think i'd kick myself if a new mbp comes out and the only true upgrade comes in the form of a touchpad...

i mean don't get me wrong, it's not like i can whip out my wacom like say if i decide to do work in a train but correct me if i'm wrong, multi-touch doesn't work with the adobe suite yet right? if so, then yea, i could care less.

seriously, i'd rather have apple integrate my wacom pen on the touch pad (i mean same size as pad as the multi-touch). NOW that would truly be a blessing.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Not to rain on your wonderful saturday nite post but I'm inclined to believe that you really DO care about the update because you wouldn't have waited for 4 weeks you would've bought your MBP by now and posting on this forum to tell about it rather than create an "I don't care anymore" post and getting people to join you in your "I don't care anymore" post.
    Just my opinion.

7. fafsa1025 macrumors newbie

I Am With You

Yep..I'm with you! The only reason I'm waiting for the Penryn update is because I'm hoping it would include the Multi-touch!

8. gothamm macrumors 6502a

call it an intuition, but i don't think apple is going to bring multi-touch to its other notebooks. I know its a very popular theory, but there is absolutely no evidence that the new mbp's are getting multi-touch.

The MBA, besides its thinness, does not have much going for it. I think apple is going to keep multitouch exclusive to the air for sometime.

9. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I'm not too excited about multitouch because the MBA I tested did not have any photos to swipe so I could only pinch. Also, I really don't care about a .2 speed bump because that dealt doesn't make a difference. The only update I want is a better graphics card and a bigger default hdd. The one thing I don't want to see are the black MacBook/MBA keys, I really dislike how they look.

ChrisN

10. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

SSE4 is important too. A new CPU instruction set does not come around all that often. Plus 45nm process = less heat = longer life for components and a better battery life. Penryn is worth waiting for, and multitouch is the much welcome icing on the cake.

11. MacnApple thread starter macrumors newbie

You're entitled to one, so thank you. Of course I care about the update, that was the whole point of the post. I care that Apple updates the trackpad to multitouch. Where did I ever say I don't care anymore? I thought the title of my post was an argument to wait.....as in there is good reason to wait.

I don't think you even read my post because your response made no sense.

12. nhaque macrumors member

thumbs up for multi-touch upgrade, I don't really care for other things (or actually dont really know much bout em). lets hope that its march with multitouch

13. MacnApple thread starter macrumors newbie

March! Shoot lets hope its February 26th and then this nonsense will finally stop.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I was responding to your words, "I could care less about the bump to Penryn in an updated MBP"

I guess I should've mentioned about your lack of care for the "CPU" update but I thought you understood what I was quoting you on.:rolleyes:

15. pcmofo macrumors member

pcmofo

I'm with you! well sorta... I think its foolish to give up now if you have been waiting for a new MBP. Regardless of what the rumors say its GOING to happen that the MBP will be updated. If not this week then next week or next month. I would love to get a new laptop but I am not buying until the latest one comes out. Why wimp out now and get the current one? Anyone who does might as well have done so months ago. If you want to wait for any of the features (multi touch rocks and more battery life is a big plus for me) then wait. Its not going to take 3 months. Its going to be soon.

I would rather them anounce it this week that its not shipping for three months than in three months finally tell us it exists and is shipping today. Steve, just tell me when so I can mark it on my calendar and post date a check!

16. gothamm macrumors 6502a

wow, nice reading skills :rolleyes: . I don't think the poster could have made it any clearer that he in fact does care about an update. He cares about features other than penryn, like multitouch...as the thread states.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Nice reading skills from you as well. You didn't look at post number 14. :rolleyes:

18. MacnApple thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I really don't care about the update to Penryn. If you looked at the scenarios from my 1st post, I specifically stated that if I knew an updated MBP was coming out this tuesday morning with Penryn and everything else BUT NO multitouch, I would just go buy the machine that they have right now at the Apple store. In other words, all I care about is multitouch, not a new processor. Get it?

19. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

I can't believe people are so hyped up about multitouch. Talk about a gimmicky and overall useless feature. "Look! I can enlarge and rotate a photo using the trackpad!" Who the hell rotates photos all day...are you that bored? Unless the entire screen is multitouch, I honestly can't imagine why this would be on the top of anyone's wishlist for new MBP features.

20. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I'm not much for waiting to buy anything. If I have the need I buy. When that version becomes clunky I buy a new one.

Although multi-touch would be kind of interesting, I would not have traded the last 5 weeks of use on this MBP for it or any of the reported upgrade features.

21. dj420118 macrumors regular

I think what excites people about Multi-Touch is the FUTURE possibilities with it. Things like that can easily be updated with a software update just like on the iPhone. The amount of gestures on the multi-touch trackpad are limitless.

22. MacnApple thread starter macrumors newbie

THANK YOU!!!!!!!:D

23. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

I could care less about multitouch trackpad. Who's with me? :)

24. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Yep, the only real advantage would be multi-touch. Otherwise its only like a higher end current gen MBP. I honestly don't see what all the hubbub is about.

25. tbeahrs macrumors newbie

I too am waiting for the new multitouch and multitouch alone. The rest is just icing on the cake. I think a large focus of Apple's "innovation" in future years will be developing multitouch technology in their interest of improving the iphone and eventually releasing a Tablet. Current MBP owners will not benefit from any such developmet because they don't have the hardware to support multitouch (right now only MBA and iPhone have the multitouch trackpad). My current PB has lasted 4+ years and I intend on having my new MBP for just as long, so it's worth to wait for the new hardware (as long as it takes, as long as my PB holds up) so I can benefit from the multitouch development down the road. I just hope it shows up in this revision... not one late this summer.

I agree with the thread starter. If I KNEW multitouch WASN'T comming to MBPs, I wouldn't be waiting.