Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I have a 32GB iPad WiFi and I just recently ordered a phone for myself and wife to switch to Verizon (currently on Sprint). I pre-ordered the HTC Incredible (naturally) and I got the Palm Pixi Plus for her. The Palm Pixi Plus is $29.99 with free activation and free overnight. The data is $30 (which is required anyway and will be used by her no matter what) BUT the kicker is they are currently offering the 3G mobile hotspot app on the device for FREE (usually $40/mo)

This is nuts, I went with my iPad to a Verizon store and turned the app on on one of the Pixi Plus' in the store and within seconds my iPad was connected to the internet at Verizon 3G speeds!

So the way I see it, my wife gets a phone and I get free 3G broadband for upto 5 devices for FREE! I'm so glad I didn't get a 3G iPad now...:D

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have a 32GB iPad WiFi and I just recently ordered a phone for myself and wife to switch to Verizon (currently on Sprint). I pre-ordered the HTC Incredible (naturally) and I got the Palm Pixi Plus for her. The Palm Pixi Plus is $29.99 with free activation and free overnight. The data is $30 (which is required anyway and will be used by her no matter what) BUT the kicker is they are currently offering the 3G mobile hotspot app on the device for FREE (usually $40/mo)

This is nuts, I went with my iPad to a Verizon store and turned the app on on one of the Pixi Plus' in the store and within seconds my iPad was connected to the internet at Verizon 3G speeds!

So the way I see it, my wife gets a phone and I get free 3G broadband for upto 5 devices for FREE! I'm so glad I didn't get a 3G iPad now...:D

So, if I understand you correctly you're saying you don't have to pay an extra data charge for the mobile hotspot you use for the iPad? That's a good deal indeed and worth checking out.

pkdoyle

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
Plano, TX
Mobilehavoc,
I am just curious, did Sprint not have 4G where you live? I do realize that they do not have it most places at this point. If they do, or would soon, it seems you would have been better off waiting for the EVO in June and used it as you local hotspot on the 4G network.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
So, if I understand you correctly you're saying you don't have to pay an extra data charge for the mobile hotspot you use for the iPad? That's a good deal indeed and worth checking out.

Yes, so to break it down -
$99 for 700 minutes/unlimited text family plan - 2 lines
$29 for unlimited data on my line (required)
$29 for unlimited data on wife's line (required)
$0 for unlimited data on wife's line for 3G mobile hotspot
- 22% corp discount
= about $126 + taxes

For how long?

As long as you have the phone, it's part of the 2 year contract. The ipad connected to the Pixi's WiFi hotspot instantly and the Verizon 3G speed was pretty fast but most importantly I'll have stable/consistent 3G in more places.

My biggest fear with getting the 3G iPad was AT&T's unreliability (I'm in NYC area), the last thing I want is to have the iPad on EDGE!!!

P.S. I know AT&T 3G still sucks because I have a Blackberry Bold for work (3G on AT&T) and it still frequently drops to EDGE for no apparent reason and 3G speed is slow.

To each their own. :D

harpy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
For how long?

For the life of the device.

My wife just picked up a Palm Pre Plus from verizon and it can act as a mobile hot spot with no extra charge.

Basically, Verizon is sitting on a lot of Palm devices and so to get the moving they've waved the $40 per month charge that originally was attached to to the mobile hot spot service and are now just giving it away for free. We were debating between the Pre and the Droid and the free mobile hot spot was one of the things that pushed her over the edge to the Pre.

So my wife's monthly bill is $70 ($40 for regular service + $30 for the data) and it allows up to five devices to wirelessly connect to the phone and use the 3g data.

I'm still on the fence about getting an iPad, but if I break down and get one it will definitely be just a wifi model as her phone will give me all of the 3g connectivity I need.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Mobilehavoc,
I am just curious, did Sprint not have 4G where you live? I do realize that they do not have it most places at this point. If they do, or would soon, it seems you would have been better off waiting for the EVO in June and used it as you local hotspot on the 4G network.

I seriously contemplated that. A lot. But the problem is that Sprint has already stated that they will be charging $ for the tethering feature AND the data plan for 4G will be somewhat higher than it is now.

With my situation at Verizon, I'm getting $40-$60/mo plan for free which is hard to beat over 2 years. The Pixi Plus basically becomes a Mifi/broadband wireless router which most carriers charge $40-60/mo for.

Also I live in the NYC area, and I'm sure Sprint's 4G rollout will be in Manhattan itself or concentrated areas. Even their 3G isn't rock solid here.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I had the same idea when I saw the Palm Pixi and Pre go way down in price and include the wifi hotspot app for free. I think its a perfect situation for the iPad, because you already take your phone with you everywhere, and already have a data plan on it, so you get 3G into your ipad for free basically, and don't have to pay ATT $30 a month on the 3g iPad.

Another similar solution is jailbreaking an iPhone and using the wifi hotspot app, but I really, really wish Apple would just allow a wifi hotspot app natively on the iphone!

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Will your wife have the wifi in her phone, or is it on your phone?

Her phone, I couldn't help myself and had to get the HTC Incredible. This just means I have to make sure I take my wife along with me whenever I take my iPad ;):D

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I had the same idea when I saw the Palm Pixi and Pre go way down in price and include the wifi hotspot app for free. I think its a perfect situation for the iPad, because you already take your phone with you everywhere, and already have a data plan on it, so you get 3G into your ipad for free basically, and don't have to pay ATT $30 a month on the 3g iPad.

Another similar solution is jailbreaking an iPhone and using the wifi hotspot app, but I really, really wish Apple would just allow a wifi hotspot app natively on the iphone!

The problem with the iPhone is it's a hack and against AT&T's TOS so they can shut you down or charge you $$$ if they find out. People did this (I was with AT&T for 5 years) in the past with phones prior to iPhone and they all eventually got busted. Most ended up with massive data bills and some had their AT&T contract terminated and couldn't rejoin for a period of time.

At least with the Pixi Plus, it's a sanctioned carrier tethering solution so no worries! :)

y2flyy

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
HEY OP can you get the mobile spot for the Incredible as well?
I also preordered Verizon's Incredible (coming from an iphone3gs)

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana

Congrats man! That sounds like a helluva deal! (I'm still waiting for the next iPhone though!) :)

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
That's awesome!

One of many reasons why I keep telling people I know not to get the 3G iPad. Although I'm living in HK, I tell my friends back home to get the wifi version. I got myself a pocket wifi (MiFi) device and the HSDPA speeds are faster than my iPhone 3GS. I'll get more battery life out of my iPad and I can share the wifi across 4 other devices. Importantly, the iPad won't be restricted to 3G technology this way since 4G is here and just around the corner for the rest.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
For those that have an iPhone and unlimited data, you can achieve the same thing by jailbreaking your phone (takes 5mins and is completely reversible if you need Apple service) and installing myWi. I was surfing with my wifi iPad on the bus yesterday (iPhone was in hotspot mode in my backpack) and I got a few WTF looks.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
That's awesome!

One of many reasons why I keep telling people I know not to get the 3G iPad. Although I'm living in HK, I tell my friends back home to get the wifi version. I got myself a pocket wifi (MiFi) device and the HSDPA speeds are faster than my iPhone 3GS. I'll get more battery life out of my iPad and I can share the wifi across 4 other devices. Importantly, the iPad won't be restricted to 3G technology this way since 4G is here and just around the corner for the rest.

This is a HUGE point, people miss. By relying on a different device like a MiFi or phone with tethering, you have a little hassle of carrying something else around BUT you are future proof. When 4G LTE Mifi's come out, guess what now you have a LTE iPad! Sure the 3G iPad can do the same but then the built in 3G is useless.

That's why I refuse to buy a laptop with built in cellular/3G modem...it'll be obsolete much faster than the laptop.

the_fellowship

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
London, UK
For those that have an iPhone and unlimited data, you can achieve the same thing by jailbreaking your phone (takes 5mins and is completely reversible if you need Apple service) and installing myWi. I was surfing with my wifi iPad on the bus yesterday (iPhone was in hotspot mode in my backpack) and I got a few WTF looks.

Most probably the smoke coming from your backpack due to the iPhone over-heating whilst tethering lol

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
mobilehavoc said:
This is a HUGE point, people miss. By relying on a different device like a MiFi or phone with tethering, you have a little hassle of carrying something else around BUT you are future proof. When 4G LTE Mifi's come out, guess what now you have a LTE iPad! Sure the 3G iPad can do the same but then the built in 3G is useless.

That's why I refuse to buy a laptop with built in cellular/3G modem...it'll be obsolete much faster than the laptop.

You got a point there, makes a lot of sense.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
The problem with the iPhone is it's a hack and against AT&T's TOS so they can shut you down or charge you $$$ if they find out. People did this (I was with AT&T for 5 years) in the past with phones prior to iPhone and they all eventually got busted. Most ended up with massive data bills and some had their AT&T contract terminated and couldn't rejoin for a period of time.

At least with the Pixi Plus, it's a sanctioned carrier tethering solution so no worries! :)

Rogers in Canada allows free tethering on iPhone data plans of 1gb per month. I'm paying $30 for 6gb of data, and tethering the hell out of my iPhone using mywi. Actually I'm typing this very post with my iPad connected to my iPhone data connection. Good times!

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I've been really contemplating this..

I'm currently using "MyWi" but it's not an "Officially Sanctioned App" so you have to worry about AT&T sending you a "surprise" bill or suspending your account..

Or you have to worry about Apple coming out with a new phone or software update that if it can't be jailbroken would just render the app useless....

Sure, the Pixie or any other phone that allows hotspot creation isn't an iPhone but there's a little bit of comfort when using an app that is sanctioned through the carrier..

And I know it's not the iPhone, it's AT&T crippling the device..

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
That's awesome!

If you go into the Maps app while you're using MiFi pocket wifi, is it still able to accurately determine your position?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.