an easy to use budget planner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zoran, Jan 6, 2015.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

Is anyone using a budget planner to monitor his expenses or income every month? Not asking really for a corporate application, just something that a civilian would use, to be able to see at the end of each month what one spends or earns, perhaps make a small yearly graph of what's happening to ones financial status etc., be able to enter the receipts one uses n stuff like that!
    Any easy to use app around? ;)

2. zoran, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015

zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Numbers is like Excel though isn't it? If so, that means that i'm gonna have a hard time setting it up, i think a dedicated app for what i'm looking for might be easier, don't you think?

3. blackboxideas macrumors member

It may do more than you really need, but out of the various apps I've tried YNAB is the one I'm using now and have stuck with.

It's pretty damn easy to set up - just decide what you want to spend your money on, then allocate money for that stuff in advance.
    Overspend in one area, no worries - you'll just have to sacrifice a bit of budget from something else that month (but at least you can be sensible about it).

I can then run a few reports and see where my money is going and get an idea of my net worth etc.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

blackbox, ill tell you what i want to do, so let me know if what you suggest is what i need!
    Every year i want to gather all my receipts and put them in the budget planner so that it will make me a sum of all my yearly expenses, perhaps even make me a graphic on my yearly or monthly spendings! I just want to be aware and have a small idea of how my money is spent!

5. dgonzales macrumors newbie

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Is it possible to set it work in ones native language?

7. blackboxideas macrumors member

If you're wanting to do this every year I don't think YNAB is what you're after. It really needs a more active involvement from you (i.e. every month at least).

It's also in English only at the moment, but does support different currencies.

I used to use an iPhone app called 'Money' that did a decent job of plotting where money had come in and let me enter receipts on the fly (saving them up to end of year makes it a mammoth task!) - there is a companion Mac app you could use too. (I just used to enter my paycheque when it came in, then when I bought something I'd just tap the value in along with what category it was).

I also used Mint for a while - but my issue was really that it doesn't really work well in the UK as the banks over here didn't let me link it up.

You could also consider 'receipt box' - it's really just a simple app to enter all your receipts - then you can see where your money went at the end of the year etc!
    (This wouldn't track your income or others so is only half the picture, but it would show you how much you'd spent on certain things so you could plan that into your budget!)

8. dgonzales macrumors newbie

It might not be the best solution then. If you understand a little bit of English you still might be able to use it. My reasoning is that you name the budget categories so I assume you can enter your native language for each budget category. Where you will have a challenge is the words that YNAB uses in the program like months or other headings that are displayed.

YNAB is a budgeting software program so it is different from other money management software like quicken.

9. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

what you need is available via moneysavingexpert.com-its a excel home budget-wokrks excellent in apple numbers-been using to for past few years

10. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

11. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I use Inspire Finance App from the MAS, works perfect at logging your monthly accounts. I have tried them all including YNAB but Inspire just fit my needs perfectly. Certainly worth a look. Syncs with icloud also so I can use it on my Mac and Mac Air ;)

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

+1 for YNAB. I've been using it for 3 months now and love it. It's forward-thinking and helps me save a lot more money than ever before.

They offer free webinars and have videos and podcasts as well as a forum for support. It's a great software company and group of people.

13. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

+1
    Customizable