An elegant solution to the copy/paste problem!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavis, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Hey guys,

After a friend showed me an interesting feature on the iPod Touch using the Japanese keyboard, I've got an idea about how Apple could easily solve the copy/paste problem.

On the Japanese keyboard, the delete/backspace key does more than just delete one character/word at a time. You can drag your finger to the left to delete multiple words, and if you go too far simply drag back to the right and the deleted words and characters automagically re-appear. It works MUCH better that the single character deleting on the English (US) keyboard. It's much faster than the English keyboard's method.

So how about doing that for copy/paste? What if pressing SHIFT turns the delete key into a Copy key? Then, just drag to the left to select the text to copy, and when you release your finger, it's copied! To paste, simply position the cursor as usual, press SHIFT (to enable the Copy key) and double tap the Copy key. Voila! Problem solved. Hell, they could even add Cut functionality by doing a SHIFT followed by a double-tap-drag of the Copy key. That's a little more complicated, and probably not really that necessary - but it could probably be done with (relative) ease.

The way I see it, this method would work with any language, doesn't require any additional keys on an already cramped keyboard, is simple and elegant and easy to use. What do you guys think?

2. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

sounds pretty keql to me. I miss copy and paste and insert (images etc)

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

4. skeen macrumors 6502

5. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I love you too [mouth moving while silent and arms waving].

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

I like it a lot!

7. nessaganda macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Is it possible to copy paste pm's that i sent in my yahoo messenger for itouch? Cuz i need to send a copy of one message via email so that i could be sure that it would be received by my friend but when i tried copying the messages it wouldnt let me. Please help me since i did not enable yahoo conversations so once i got signed out of ym i wont be able to retrieve my message again.

8. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

wth? the 2007 posts threw me off...i was thinking "they dropped cut, copy and paste from iOS 5!?!?"

9. nessaganda macrumors newbie

Oh my so does this mean that all i could do now is just keep my fingers crossed and hope that my friend will indeed get my PMs? This is frustrating me...so sad.