an embarrasingly simple question here

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bradleyheathhay, Nov 14, 2011.

1. bradleyheathhay macrumors newbie

My 3gs is synced to an itunes library that I no longer have access to. Now when I try to sync it to my current itunes library a warning appears informing me that all music on the phone will be erased and replaced with the new library. How do I go about keeping the music that's on it now while adding music to it from my new itunes setup?

Thanks!

2. ineedanewwallet macrumors newbie

You have to get the music files off your iPhone to the new computer. iTunes won't do this for you (to help deter music sharing).

Google 'iRip'.

3. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

the beauty of iTunes...

You can't!

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

Don't be embarrassed, you just discovered the stupidest thing about iTunes!

You'll have to re-sync it (if you have all of your 3G's music backed up) and if not, you'll have to find a program compatible with your model iPhone that pulls the music off.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

That's one downside of using itunes. Lets you only sync with one itunes library and once you try to sync with another it tries to erase all the old info

6. fw221 macrumors member

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's also the downside of not backing up.

8. Breezygirl macrumors regular

Breezygirl

iTunes is my least favorite part of anything Apple, I've lost so much music over the years. Frustrating to figure it out but I'm sure Apple likes that as it makes them more money when you have to buy your music again. Grrr.....