Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circusbass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
This is what I get in iTunes after I downloaded ios5 and tried to backup before updating. Which is funny to me because I backed everything up right before I tried this. Anyone else getting this or know how to fix it? I am on windows 7 with itunes version 10.5.

This damn (-1303) error is making me mad.

Last edited:

brkaus

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Did you happen to previously move your backups folder to a different drive? I was getting the same error. I deleted the link I had created for the backups folder and then it worked.

Not sure if that was the solution or just a fluke.

Kelcoshows

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Hertfordshire UK
Hi, I'm getting the exact same error trying to update to iOS 5 on a Windows 7 PC. Ages ago I set up an NTFS junction so that iPhone backup's go to the d: drive. And that does work as full of backups and I can see a couple of folders do get created on the attempted backup as part of the iOS 5 install, but then I get the same error message. Any help appreciated!

circusbass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Did you happen to previously move your backups folder to a different drive? I was getting the same error. I deleted the link I had created for the backups folder and then it worked.

Not sure if that was the solution or just a fluke.

I actually did use Junction Magic to make sure the backups were saved on a different drive. Maybe I will remove that.

iAd4m

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2010
I get something similar

An error occurred while backing up this iPhone (-43)

Backing up or syncing normally works fine but not when I try to update

circusbass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Would like to give removing the NTFS junction a go, but can't find out how do that...

I opened the folder that I store backups in and then did a backup so I have a time stamp to know which file to copy back to the original folder.

Then I opened the program I used to Junction and removed it.

About to try it again....let you all know.

brkaus

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I worked down the path and found the junction (link) by the icon. I then renamed the junction to 'OldName_junction'.

Exit and restart iTunes. Following time it created a new directory on the main disk.

Then it worked :)

noodlelegs

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
i just got this 1303 error and I followed instructions in this thread to just rename the junction like from Backup to OldBackup and it seems like it is working now.
I am on Windows 7 boot camp by the way. I have an ssd as my main drive and another hard drive in the optibay. I was using the junction to save space on my main drive so the iphone backup would go to the secondary drive.
I guess I will just rename the link to the original name (Backup) once I have completely upgraded to ios5.

noodlelegs

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
yea i may have spoke too soon. seems to be taking forever to backup again. fans are on high, laptop is smokin hot.

circusbass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
OK. Fixed my problem. I had a Junction Link linking from the iPhone back up partition to another partition. I deleted the junction link and copied them all to the iPhone backup partition. After trying again I had no problems after a lengthy backup.

The steps in between that could be unique to my case were extending the capacity of my c: drive so I had more room for the multiple backups. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.