An ethernet card that'll work out the box in a MDD?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gargantu, May 8, 2016.

1. gargantu macrumors newbie

May 2, 2016
    Hello everyone. The housing on the built in ethernet port on my mdd is broken (snapped off the logicboard), does anyone know of a particular brand of cheap ethernet pci card that I can stick in my june 2003 MDD to give it ethernet capabilities (again) without the need for drivers? I'm assuming this is possible to achieve since originally I had a wifi connection, and to get one I found a "mac compatible" wireless pci card that OS X simply recognises as an airport extreme card with no further software driver installation required (the mac does have an aiport card port but doesn't support airport extreme so having a third party card was the only way to get 802.11g speeds).

I did think initially i could replace the housing by buying a cheap card and pulling the housing off of that and putting it back on the Mac but there are some caveats to that plan, namely I haven't tested the built in ethernet port (it's been broken as long as I've had the Mac), so it might not work properly or at all even with a new housing in place. Secondly there's no telling if a housing on cheap card is going to fit the Mac['s logicboard if the little pegs that hold it in place are in different positions. Thirdly if I'm going to buy a cheap ethernet card anyway I might just as well get one that will go in a PCI slot and work that way.​
  2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

Jan 13, 2013
    I have a supposedly working card (another forum member commented and said it should) that I'd send to you for free. Its 10/100/1000 PCIX
  3. abundantmussel macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2014
    Cork, Ireland
    I have used Startech ST1000BT32 in machines with PCI slots they are 10/100/1000 and work in Windows/UNIX/MacOS9/MacOSX. I pay around GBP£7 each for them.