An even better way to break contract, best one posted yet.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amacfa, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

There is a little known secret about your cell phone contract that your wireless service provider doesn't want you to know.

You can cancel whenever you want without paying a termination fee.

Sure you can do that loophole thing where you find that they changed a rate or something but they won't let you cancel and buy a new iPhone at $199.

All you have to do is get them to cancel you.

There is a very simple way to do this. Become unprofitable.
    If you're paying them $50 a month but costing them a few hundred - They most definitely will cancel you.

So how is it done? A couple of years ago you might of noticed that everyone stopped paying roaming fees. One wireless giant started the "no more roaming charges" program, and the rest followed like the sheep that they are. But just because you are no longer paying the $0.69/min doesn't mean your provider gets off scott free.

Even though you stopped paying for roaming charges years ago, your wireless service provider has been eating the costs. This is done to keep complaints to a minimum, and of course, you as their customer.
    So let's do the math.
    At $0.69 a minute, a 2 hour long call in a roaming spot just cost your carrier almost $83.00
    Even with some of the higher end plans, this would still be quite a hit. But would it be enough to cancel you?

Now, in plain English.
    For 3 straight months, make sure that more than half of your calls (51% or more) are done in roaming.

If you've used 400 minutes this month, then you find a roaming spot and place a 401 minute call to MovieFone. Do this on your weekends of course so you don't use your minutes.

After the 1st month you'll know you were successful because you will receive a letter from your carrier suggesting that you switch to a different provider that can better accommodate your cellular needs.

Keep in mind that some roaming partners can take two months to send the records of your roaming calls to your wireless provider. It's possible that your provider won't even know that you were roaming until they receive the bill.

Just for my sake and possibly others I'll mention this: Don't make a 5,000 minute roaming call just because you're mad at your wireless provider. Only use this tool if all other resources have failed you and use it in moderation.

I'm hoping that this information will make termination fees pointless and one day get rid of them altogether.

Also, check with your own provider's contract terms. They may differ. This page is only referencing AT&T.

Oh yeh. This is for educational purposes only. Don't sue me AT&T.
    I have been adjudicated mentally incapacitated in 49* different U.S. states so nothing I say can be taken seriously in a legal sense. That should be enough to protect me, right?
    Code:
    http://roaminghack.blogspot.com/

2. Mjmar macrumors 65816

At that point I'd just pay full price for a new iPhone.

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

How do you roam when you're in the ATT network? I don't even know if I've been in a place where I've been in roaming territory.

To add to your post, you can also download massive amounts of data / month. Just leave Pandora on at night and you'll get 15+ gigs / month.

4. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

5. Amacfa thread starter macrumors 65816

Amacfa

I didn't write this, also you can just keep your phone on for 48 hours straight during the weekends and it that would work too.

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

It's hard to find a roaming spot... and even harder to stay there for 401 minutes... Without a phone that you can force to roam (like the iPhone...) then this plan isn't worth the effort.

7. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

I can't wait for the next few weeks to pass so the iPhone part of this site will chill with all the "omFg! I jUsT fIgUred oUt HoW to GeT a NeW iPhOnE"..

sell your current 3g, use the proceeds to buy the new one and stop clogging the threads.

8. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Wow. . .

If anyone really wants to go through all of this is insane. No offense OP but if there going to do all of this, they might as well wait to qualify for there full upgrade.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just when you thought you'd seen all the inane threads, along comes another. The sense of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility in these threads is sickening.

10. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

LMSAO....

I like your signature

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

These types of ways of breaking phone contracts have been discussed for years, and since there seems to be no intent to do so civilly in this thread, I think this is done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.