An even faster iMac17,1? ... or a spoof?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DWHH1, Nov 12, 2015.

1. DWHH1 macrumors newbie

Has anyone taken a look at GeekBench browser in the last couple of days? Go to Geekbench, select browser and enter 'iMac17,1 i7 32-bit' in the search box. Most of the performance figures are in the 15000 range (multicore) but in the last couple of days there have been a number in the 23000 range that claim to be for a 6 core 12 thread variant. It might be a Geekbench software error. Would someone really buy a 27 inch 5k iMac only to swap out the motherboard? Am I missing something obvious?

Thoughts?

2. DaakuMaujii macrumors member

DaakuMaujii

The processor is identified as a Core i7-5930K, so I'd guess someone is running a hackintosh? If I remember correctly you could 'spoof' a system identifier to let Mac OS X think you are running a particular system. At 140W, this CPU is bit heavy for an iMac.

Or maybe someone at Apple is testing an as of yet unreleased iMac and forgot to disconnect from the Internet after download GeekBench ;-)

3. Rmafive macrumors 6502

It's most likely a hackintosh being identified as an iMac17,1.

4. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

The CPU is not soldered to the board. In principle one can replace it. But I am not aware of any Skylake 6 core CPU...

5. DaakuMaujii macrumors member

DaakuMaujii

There aren't any 6 core Skylake CPUs available, nor have I seen any on speculative road maps yet. But the fact that the CPU isn't soldered onto the logic board certainly is interesting. Will upgrading the CPU be as easy as picking the right socket and matching the maximum thermal specifications when better Skylake processors are released? Or will it be limited to CPUs used by Apple only?

6. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I think we are due for a Mac Pro update soon. Maybe showing up as an iMac?