Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I wanted to share a great "only at the Apple Store" story.

Earlier this week my older "snow" AirPort Base Station took a dive. The ethernet router still worked, but it wasn't serving any wireless. I figured I was in for a new Base Station. I don't live near any Apple Stores, but it just so happened that I had a business trip into Los Angeles planned this week, so I set aside an hour to stop into the Apple Store in Santa Monica.

I discussed my problem with one of the salespeople. He said, "wait a second," and disappeared into the back room. I fully expected him to come out with a new AirPort Extreme Base Station with a $199 price tag. Instead, he hands me an Apple Store bag, inside of which is a "snow" AirPort Base Station in its original box. He says, "here you can have this one. It's mine but I don't use it anymore"

I was stunned. I couldn't thank him enough, though I certainly tried. Oh, and I could hardly walk out of the store without also buying the AirPort Express I'd been coveting, and some software. And I was still dollars ahead.

Cool, huh?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
thats awesome and he is a great employee thats for sure

im glad things worked out for you in the end though, in all reality all that you would be able to do to fix the situation would be to buy a new one, yet you were in the right place at the right time, sweet!!

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
nice guy for sure. glad you had a good visit.you should call the store and mention the guys name to the manager.. not sure if you'd want to mention he gave the product to you though... i'm not sure how that would go over... but giving a good comment might be worth your time

say "so and so helped me with my old "snow" air port base station and i really appreciate it. since he did such an exceptional job i thought i'd let you know" or something along those lines

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
:confused:

My only thing is...

Why would he take something he owns (but doesn't use) to work?
(Not doubting your story, just seems weird).

I don't use my coffeemaker (it's only for company), but I don't take it to work hoping to find someone to give it away to.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Logik said:
nice guy for sure. glad you had a good visit.you should call the store and mention the guys name to the manager.. not sure if you'd want to mention he gave the product to you though... i'm not sure how that would go over... but giving a good comment might be worth your time

say "so and so helped me with my old "snow" air port base station and i really appreciate it. since he did such an exceptional job i thought i'd let you know" or something along those lines

That's my plan. He gave me his card, which includes the store's e-mail address. I don't know if Apple would be pleased to know that he gave away some old used product, so I won't mention that part.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
mac-er said:

My only thing is...

I don't use my coffeemaker (it's only for company), but I don't take it to work hoping to find someone to give it away too.

The thought had crossed my mind. But you know what they say about gift horses...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Explanation...

mac-er said:

My only thing is...

I don't use my coffeemaker (it's only for company), but I don't take it to work hoping to find someone to give it away too.

I've done it...with extra headphones, an airport basestation when I no longer needed it because of multiple airport express purchases, or an old airport card from an iBook that my dog destroyed...

It's just a nice thing to do. My managers never really gave me any grief about it, but I was ALWAYS sure to give it to them outside the store.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
appleretailguy said:
I've done it...with extra headphones, an airport basestation when I no longer needed it because of multiple airport express purchases, or an old airport card from an iBook that my dog destroyed...

It's just a nice thing to do. My managers never really gave me any grief about it, but I was ALWAYS sure to give it to them outside the store.

Your dog destroyed your iBook? Do you have a new iBook now, or a new dog?

Anyhow, as an Apple Store employee (which I presume you are), what should I say in an e-mail to the store -- and who will read it?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
More info

IJ Reilly said:
Your dog destroyed your iBook? Do you have a new iBook now, or a new dog?

Anyhow, as an Apple Store employee (which I presume you are), what should I say in an e-mail to the store -- and who will read it?

New powerbook...and new girlfriend..it was her dog...

Former Apple Store employee, by the way, but still good enough friends with the staff to be able to take advantage of some of their discounts...

One of the managers will read it and usually they print it out and give to the employee.

I would just say the employee was extremely helpful in finding you a low cost solution for your broken basestation and his actions persuaded you to buy a few extra things than you originally planned on. Probably not a good idea to go into specifics (not that they would get in trouble, but all stores are a little different). Apple really prides itself on taking care of customers, and usually overlook borderline actions (slight discounts, etc.) when customers are happy walking out of the store. We all know Apple's products are higher priced than most other companies but the Apple faithful become HOOKED once they use them. They are more interested in pleasing the customer instead of getting absolute top dollar. Good to know you had a good experience. The employees are not paid top dollar and any sort of positive feedback is a joy.

PS...Isn't it funny how discounts on Apple things prompt us to just buy more? My Apple discount enabled me to save quite a bit a of money on a powerbook, but instead I grabbed the superdrive 15" version because it was a good deal, albeit a a few hundred more. We're trusting, faithful and just enamored with cool Apple stuff, which probably explains why I have both a shuffle and an iPod mini (the mini, by the way, is now hooked to speakers and never leaves my house, while the shuffle is carried around constantly because the mini seems so BIG).

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
E-mail sent! I hope the guy gets a nice "attaboy" or whatever Apple gives employees who go the extra mile.

BTW -- the kicker is, when I got home I decided to disassemble my defunct base station. I'd read somewhere that they've got a standard AirPort card inside, of which I had an extra. After removing too many screws, I replaced the card and now the base station is 100% again. So now I have a spare!

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
appleretailguy said:
Former Apple Store employee, by the way, but still good enough friends with the staff to be able to take advantage of some of their discounts...

Umm, isn't that stealing if you are no longer eligible to receive the discount?

I know plenty of retail companies that will terminate employees for gross misconduct for giving out their discounts to people they aren't authorized to give them to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.