An External Moniotr for a Dorm?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NikFinn, Aug 7, 2009.

1. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Hey guys,
    First year of college coming up and all that fun stuff, I have a macbook pro, but am wondering if it's a good idea to get an external monitor as well. I've never lived in a dorm before some I'm not sure if it's a good plan due to the space. But I thought I would need either a TV or a monitor, and I don't watch tv all that often so I figured I would just get a monitor and watch TV/movies on hulu or similar (and they seem to be cheaper). So do you guys think an external monitor is a good idea? If so, what size? Any recommendations?

Edit: It has become apparent I can't spell.

2. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I have a dell 20" ultrasharp monitor I bought in jan. 09 for sale for 120 shipped

3. djemyoudjel macrumors newbie

djemyoudjel

Back in Istanbul, I used to have a Samsung T260 which was a good looking 26'' monitor without speakers. The problem I had with it, was the fact that colours were totally different and I couldn't calibrate it as well to make them look almost the same. The need for a monitor is all about your habits, unless you will be using two monitors like when you are working on Aftereffects or whatever...

I prefer to watch TV series and Hulu over my computer, generally before I start sleeping in bed. I am still able to check my mails and chat etc.
    If you won't sit in front of your monitor, I don't see any need for it.

Anyway, I am using a 24'' Led Monitor from Apple now, and I am happy with it.

4. summits macrumors newbie

summits

Yeah, an external monitor is a good idea for more screen real estate. I'd say go with a 24" monitor. If you got the $, then get the 24" :apple:LED Cinema display or if you're limited in cash stick with the Samsungs and Dells and LGs which go around for $200-$400. Get at least a 22" as they are like the standard nowadays.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Because you're in a dorm and therefore a less secure environment (I mean both theft and beer spills), you may want to stick with the $100-$150 monitors rather than the $$$$ apple versions.

6. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Yeah, I was thinking somewhere in that range because of that, and because I don't exactly have a ton of money.

7. Chris 123 macrumors regular

Chris 123

I've always used an external monitor in my dorm and it has worked nicely. I would say get one if your thinking about it

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Things with big Apple logos on them tend to attract unwanted attention. Someone broke into my office once and grabbed a bunch of apple stuff and left everything else. Idiots grabbed a mac mini but left the power brick (which is worth about $100 I think!).

I don't want to start a religious argument, but if you buy a Dell monitor it won't attract so much attention, is cheaper, and you probably won't even notice any difference in screen quality (if there is in fact any difference at all since everyone buys their LCDs from the same companies anyway)

9. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

For the bolded reason above, it does make an argument to have an external keyboard, mouse and monitor, and tuck the MBP up off the main work surface. Any coffee gets knocked over, and the important electronics are out of harms way.

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I just used my 15" MBP without a monitor. I had it on a stand with external keyboard, mouse, and speakers. It worked out fine I think.

11. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

If I were to get a monitor, I would probably use my MBP like that with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Also, my MBP is 13", which makes me lean to a monitor.

12. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I have a 24" Dell on my MBP. It's a nice combo, and they sit on the raised monitor shelf together when I'm at my desk. 1440x900 + 1920x1200 is a nice amount of screen real estate. And the only think I've spilled on was my keyboard.

13. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Well I wouldn't go with the advice of getting a 24" display. I lived in a dorm for a year (in an apartment now, much better situation) and space is cramped. I had a 19" LCD and it worked great. It didn't take up a lot of space on my desk, and didn't make me look like a tool for having a gigantic monitor. If I were you I would get maybe a 21.5" Dell, as they do 1080p resolutions and don't take up a ton of space. They are around $150.

Maybe you want to be that guy who has the small dorm and the big 24" screen, but I don't suggest it.

14. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I hear you, with my 3rd year of college coming up and the 3 years already on my MacBook, I just bought a Mac Mini & 23" Acer. A lot of suggestions are flying around, so I'm just giving up a thumbs up on an external monitor. If it helps, try going to best buy or somewhere and looking at the monitors (although it may not help if they have them hooked up via VGA).

When people are in my dorm they usually work since we work better in pairs. After my last water spill o my MacBook by my clumsy ass I know better than to keep the cap on when im done drinking it for the time being.

15. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Good advice. I brought my MBP with me when I was shopping around, and hooked it up to a few monitors. I was able to quickly find out which were good, and which were crap. Turns out I saved a lot of frustration doing it that way, by avoiding models that looked good on sale, but not in person.