An FYI for accidental/theft coverage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cardsdoc, Jul 17, 2012.

1. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

After spending about 3K on a new retina MBP I was a little worried about accidental damage or theft since Apple care obviously does not cover this stuff. I know there are protection plans out there but they can be pricey. I checked with my home insurance policy and while it was covered there was a 2500 deductible - not so helpful. They were however able to add an additional policy with NO deductible for an extra $45 per year. Could be a good option for others to look into as well.

2. Aodhan macrumors regular

Some insurance companies call them a personal article policy, my company calls them an 'endorsement' to my home owners policy. Either way, they are only about 20-50/year and well worth it.

3. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors 6502

4. theAXEDhead macrumors member

thanks for sharing

Excellent advice, thanks for sharing. I have a feeling that might be an option on my insurance.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

I purchased a personal articles policy from State Farm last year. It has a $250 deductible (not too bad on an $1800 computer). The bad news is that they instituted a minimum premium this year, and so it went from $30 last year to more than $50 this year.

I might give SquareTrade a look in the future, but the downside with them is that they sell the accidental damage policies only in addition to the extended service warranty. My credit card doubles the warranty from 1 year to 2 years, and if I wanted a third I'd probably get AppleCare, so SquareTrade is also less than ideal.