An Honest Question about bumpers...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jedolley, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jedolley macrumors 68000

Can someone explain why they seem to be so popular, at least in this forum? I am not trying to question anyone's opinion, but am really curious why they appear to be the most talked about type of cases. Especially since some of them are REALLY pricey and only appear to protect the sides (in some cases the back with a film). Am I missing something about them or are they purely popular for aesthetic purposes?

2. JayJayJay macrumors member

I've often wondered this very thing. A naked iphone is without question the most attractive option, so I don't quite "get" these bumpers that offer no protection at all (or as close to no protection as possible).

3. rgarjr, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Bumps protect the band of the phone while not obscuring the beauty of the phone. The back of the phone can be replaced cheap and easily if it gets damaged.

4. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm getting my first iPhone in a couple weeks and have been looking into how I want to protect it. I still have not settled on an option so have been looking at this site for idea and kept seeing all these different types of bumper solutions, so of which cost almost as much as the phone itself. :eek:

I'm either going to skin it in something like ghost armor or phantom skins or go with a slim case that is frosted or clear (preferably with some grip).

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It's for people who want minimal protection. It provides a lip which prevents the iPhone touching surfaces, a feature most snap on & slim cases don't have. Also improves grip and protects the plastic border from chips and what not.

6. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

Bumpers do protect from drops as long as it has lay on the bottom and front. So you get protection while doing a far better job of preserving the iPhone's beauty.

-SGD

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yeah, in researching bumpers/cases I found a lot more than I ever imagined... I looked into a lot of bumpers and ended up with an otterbox commuter case.

I think it looks/feels great and offers more protection than a bumper. Some of the bumpers look a bit better but I'll sacrifice looks for my clumsiness.

8. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

The bumper style case has always been my favorite.

SGP's Neo Hybrid EX offers scratch and drop protection since it comes with front and back skins.
    Bumpers are light weight and show as much of the phone as possible.
    If made of anything but metal they have no negative effect on signal reception or data up/down.
    I also like the fact that there are buttons built into the case and not just cut outs.

[​IMG]

9. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I think I may be swayed towards the bumper... :p I'm going to get a white iPhone, and saw the SGP ones. What is the difference between the one you mentioned and the Linear EX Color Series? I would probable get one in white.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

People recognize that they drop iPhones. People recognize that Apple made something beautiful. People only choose to cover the antenna.

11. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

lmao.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

What you're missing is called subjective preference. Describe your priorities/preferences/concerns/budget regarding cases and people can give you feedback relevant to you. It really doesn't matter why others choose bumpers if your preferences and criteria aren't in line with those that prefer them.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally, I prefer the feel of the phone when it has a bumper on (it's a bit "softer" and grippier).
    The bumper also raises the back of the phone up enough to prevent scratches when you put it down on a surface, but doesn't add much to the size or bulk of the phone

14. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Bumpers actually offer some drop protection. The glass on the iPhone is most susceptible to breaking if it hits on a corner which the bumpers cover completely.

Actually there is a drop test in youtube. The iPhone did not break when falling from normal usage height, only a very high drop broke it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZba_sgnGQw

Ironically the video is sponsored by a phone insurance company :rolleyes:.

15. JayJayJay macrumors member

Sorry but, most bumpers offer nothing in the way of drop protection (a couple of exceptions like the pure gear and baseonelabs products not withstanding). Drop protection has nothing to do with COVERING a corner, and everything to do with CUSHIONING the corner.

So, I might buy the "protects the antenna" or "lay on the table protection" argument (although even this one is faulty if you look at bupers like the Element ones), this "drop protection" one simply doesn't hold water.