Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
It's awesome to see how fluid the motion is, despite having taken a photo once every five seconds. The plane cutting across I find especially cool.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I was curious when you said the sky was fixed. Looks like you took this Monday morning. I see Procyon, the head of Hydra, and I think Praesepe (M44) also. You had really good alignment.

haha, good alignment... I actually just aligned directly to polaris instead of trying to find the actual ncp, it's just pretty forgiving when you use a zoomed out camera instead of a telescope.

You were right about Monday morning, Mars, the Moon and Venus were my main targets, I like how you can see the moon move over the course of the movie. I used Stellarium to plan the shot, figured my camera zoomed out has a 45 degree fov and it came out exactly as I expected (except my camera isn't widescreen like the computer so I cropped out the sun). I tried another zoomed in one a couple days later when the moon was close to venus but clouds killed it :-(

Just checked back with stellarium you're right about m44, you are the man for finding that. You missed Leo though :p. It's amazing how many stars my camera actually got when you look at the full res image. I could star hop from Procyon and find I got the tiniest hint of something for m48 I think.

Check out the pics in this gallery

There's a couple of screenshots from stellarium where m44 is in the blue brackets, and a full res frame (1st pic in the gallery, click the download button when viewing to get the full 1.5 MB pic) The constellation art cracks me up. Can't wait to get a better camera so I can get the milky way to show up on things like this, you'll see my POS camera in one of the pics too..

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
ghettochris,

What camera (V1?) was that, and how did you trigger the shutter and what were the settings, or did you have much control over the settings?

You're right, I missed Leo, and I can't see any hint of M48.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
glossywhite,

For comparison, here is a short time lapse with clouds that I did a while ago. If I recall right, this is the 1 frame for every 2 seconds version. At 1fps, it was too slow for the end purpose.

Osoyoos Sun rise.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
ghettochris,

What camera (V1?) was that, and how did you trigger the shutter and what were the settings, or did you have much control over the settings

that is a dsc-v1, I had it in manual mode, 25 second shutter and iso 200. I would have done 30 secs and iso 100 for less noise but with the noise reduction it does on long shots that takes just as long as the exposure I couldn't take a pic every minute that way.

I would have loved to use istopmotion to trigger the camera every minute but that model isn't compatible, so I just used a remote shutter release and had a clock beep every minute while I listened to a book on tape sitting in the comfort of my car. It was very windy, I'm amazed most of the images are so crisp. Not a bad tripod I got off eBay.

As it got light, I started to shorten the exposure time, hard to know when to drop it to keep a smooth change from dark to light. Mine pulsed a few times.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
For all my timelapse that use video sources I use SecuritySpy over istopmotion, it crashes less for me, and can handle multiple cameras at once. I mounted an iSight to my windshield and would record my drives at 10x speed. I also set up my iMacs internal camera to be motion activated to see activity in my room while simultaneously having a network camera do a 1 fps timelapse of my backyard. Snow falling and melting is cool at 50-100x. You can even do 1fps timelapse and 10fps recording when motion is detected at the same time on the same camera with securityspy.

I once had 3 network cameras (1 wireless) and one FireWire camcorder doing timelapse, while the internal iSight was set to record when it detected motion at 30fps with audio. One iMac running securityspy recorded it all. I got 900 gigs in a week for that event, hardly gone through any of it but I know there's some good stuff in there. That's my winter project.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I got 900 gigs in a week for that event, hardly gone through any of it but I know there's some good stuff in there. That's my winter project.

Judging from your Cayman and Spoke videos, I'm sure the result will be interesting. It should keep you very busy this winter, and next winter, and the on after that. ;)

Please post one of your time lapse drives. I'd like to compare it to mine which was taken at 1fps.

Thanks for letting us know about SecuritySpy.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Judging from your Cayman and Spoke videos, I'm sure the result will be interesting. It should keep you very busy this winter, and next winter, and the on after that. ;)

Please post one of your time lapse drives. I'd like to compare it to mine which was taken at 1fps.

Thanks for letting us know about SecuritySpy.

I will be sure to post a driving one, but I'm out of town for the month and they're on the big drives waiting back home so it will probably be late oct before I can. I did 6 fps playing back at 60fps, that way if something crazy went down i'd have a good record of it too.

The spoke video was fun to make with some still shots, google earth and some quick pans, and the 900 gigs of timelapse are from a bike rally there. I run the bars so the timelapse cameras were pointed at the bars, me stocking them, the girls emptying them, the iMac one being my security for my office. Throwing in 10 cases of bottles at 10x is funny. Setup and breakdown came out well also. Should be interesting indeed. securityspy made things so much easier, and if it crashed it could usually recover the movie in progress, never had that luck with istopmotion.

Keep a bookmark of my mobile me gallery if you like timelapse stuff :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.