an HP printer doesn't work on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by falconb, Oct 30, 2012.

1. falconb macrumors member

i have "HP color LaserJet 1600" printer and i've been using it on my windows correctly but when i switched to mac i couldn't install it because it doesn't appear on the list of the printers that the mac can instantly install

but when i looked up on the internet for its software i didn't find it

so pleaaaaaaase i need help cause my printer is useless now

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For me HP support for my digital sender and printer have been great. Contact them for the software. I think it will help.

3. falconb thread starter macrumors member

thanx very much jessica for your help, that was positive. i'm gonna try to contact them.i have to ,actually

oh noo, that's frustrating but thanx for your concern dude

4. falconb thread starter macrumors member

thanx very much jessica for your help, that was positive. i'm gonna try to contact them.i have to ,actually

oh noo, that's frustrating and disappointing.
    thanx for your concern dude

5. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Currently there is not a driver available for that specific printer. I have seen a work around that works for other users. First download the Driver pack from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907
    Next select the printer manager for "HP Color LaserJet 2600" from the pop-up list in the config section of the printer software. This should get the printer up and running for you.

6. falconb, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

falconb thread starter macrumors member

spyguy10709

thanx man i don't know how to thank you
    it worked
    thanx thanx thanx

and also a big "THANK YOU" to everybody who paid attention to my case

7. adjc98 macrumors newbie

Worked for my new MacPro

Worked like a champ!

Just like he said use the 2600 instead of the nonexistent 1600 they are pretty much the same machine I don't know why they didn't just keep the 1600 as well.

Some other notes:

It might be good to clear all the printers on the machine before installing the newest drivers by:

Going to Apple/System Preferences/Printers and Scanners

Then right clicking on the left pane where the printers are listed and selecting: Reset printing system.

I would then find Disk Utility in applications or from spotlight and run repair disk permissions.

Then I would download and install the new drivers.

Then go and install the new printer in system preferences selecting the laserjet 2600 driver.

Those are the steps I took.

I didn't see laserjet 2600 in the list until I installed the new drivers.

----------

My laserjet 1600 is so old that I had to take it apart piece by piece and hand clean the printing mirrors. Once I did that it was like a brand new machine. Took like 6 hours because there are like 20 to 40 parts and cables to keep track of and label so you can put it all back together again!