An i3 of i5 MBP vs the current C2D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AnaAhlawy, Mar 3, 2010.

1. AnaAhlawy macrumors newbie

I know the issue has been addressed before and I have been all over the forums for past advices which have been helpful. As I am running out of time and rather cornered to buy a 13"MBP NOW, as Apple has let me down and did not update so far:(, I have to grab a current C2D 13"MBP.

From what I have read, and pretty useful advices and discussions, I decided to grab:
    -13"MBP 2.26GHz
    -4Gb RAM upgrade (by :apple:)
    -Buy and self-install a Scorpio Blue WD 640GB (WD6400BEVT)

I have the student discount, and also a free ipod touch 8Gb (back to school campaign in Japan), which I am planning on getting a 32Gb touch instead (i.e. It will cost me about 100$).

I was wondering if you had any advice before I go ahead (I know about the guide, but, I am running out of time :(:mad:).

Also, if anyone has used the i5 iMacs along side the C2D MBP? Is it that different?

I mean for web browsing, office applications, Parallels as I have a PS on windows, and Adobe Pro too; would the difference be devastating? Would I regret buying now?

Would the graphics leap hurt (with current market i5's I do not think so)?

Too many questions, my brain is running out of free RAM :D

2. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

C2D (especially the 2,26 GHz mobile version) is slow compared to an i5.

3. AnaAhlawy thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean the 2.53 is not?

I thought the difference between 2.26 and 2.53 was too small to be felt?
    Have you tried both?

4. beaner454 macrumors regular

He's saying that the they're both going to be slower. However, the 2.26 is going to be even more noticeable.

5. MaxZ. macrumors newbie

What are you planing o do with the Macbook Pro?
    Rendering and stuff will be obviously slower in comparison but if you pln to do textwork or surf the web...I dont expect you feel a difference between the 2.56 and the 2.26...

6. AnaAhlawy thread starter macrumors newbie

opeter, thanks man, you have tried the iMac then?

Thanks beaner454 I got what he wanted to say.

MaxZ.
    Thanks for your reply, aside from web browsing, I have Photoshop, acrobat Pro that will be done through windows (via parallels or bootcamp), as I can not afford to buy their mac versions at the time being. I will also be using iMovie (a lot) as I edit my surgeries' videos.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

check here.

asus = i5 -540m (2.53ghz)
    hp = c2d (2.53ghz).

in all seriousness, its a pretty impressive update. some things are clearly better then others (media uses there are big differences)

photoshop benchmark 4mins on i5, 4mins48secs on c2d. hardly anything impressive.

just your generic upgrade.. i donno what all the hype is over.

8. gazonk macrumors member

Max RAM...

is what interests me most. My next laptop is going to get 8 GB of RAM, but I would like to be able to upgrade that to 16 GB whenever 8 GB SO-DIMMs arrive on the market. Does anyone know whether we can expect new MBPs to allow expansion to 16 GB (or even more)?

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Why would you need 8 or even 16 gigs of ram?

I actually totally understand the 8 gigs (I would like 8 gigs) -- but at $350 for 8 gigs -- id probably spend the $350 on a SSD instead....

and AnaAhlawy, did I read that right? You are going to have Apple install the ram? (by )

If you are already opening it up to put in a drive, how about just putting in your own ram while you are right there?

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

fairly certain its still 8GB im afraid. checking now

thats a little bit naive isnt it?? i could easily use 8GBs of RAM. currently i max out 4GBs within an hr or so using general apps!

can you link me to 8GB for $350??

11. AnaAhlawy thread starter macrumors newbie

Its true, but its all the same price, I mean buying 4Gb is the same as upgrading. Besides, I will end up with 2 Gb of RAM that would not sell for a decent price, and knowing myself, I guess I would not have the heart to dumb them (and as usual, will keep them for no reason, but "just in case")

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The hype comes from there being a new machine. Personally, I'd just grab the current machines if I'd have the cash and the money.

The real interesting part is that the waiters never comprehend that another newer machine is just around the corner. To them, their machine is going to be as fast as it's EVER going to be.

And yes, to add to the conversation, you should really just install the RAM yourself since you are already ordering and installing an after market HDD.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Its that price everywhere, nothing special.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

still undecided what i would do. might have the money within a month or so but not exactly sure if i REALLY need one. ipad might replace my current MBP (CD).

naive hehe

its not even hard! its like pulling apart a mobile phone.. pull a lever, pull a tab.. blaablaa

oh. sorry.

didnt realise that australia is SO FRIGGEN FAR BEHIND IN TECHNOLOGY.

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Right! It's screws now, about 8 or 10 of them I can't remember, but it's still lift the bottom plate and the guts are there for your tinkering pleasure. The HDD would take about 10 minutes max, so the RAM would be about .... 4 minutes to replace.

And the OP would save 50%

I gave up on the waiting game with the Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz. I was reminded why I did when I ordered my Penryn MBP. I was hoping for a redesign so I could get more professional ports or something, but I wanted to dump my 15" and I had a good about of freelance work to do. So I said "FORGET ABOUT IT! There'll always be something new around the corner" and got the Penryn.

It took Apple another YEAR to redesign the machine, but they're still using C2D Penryn. So I would have gained NOTHING but a nicer case and battery.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

takes me about an hr to change my CD MBP HDD. quite time consuming and tedious! RAM is easy, thats a 5min job. but yea its much much easier now!

thats the biggest bonus of doing it yourself IMO.

people get their hopes up so much. silly people. there wont be a design change i dont think. it might get the i5 CPUs, or it might not. GPUs will still be pathetic. the only thing going for it is simplicity and style, i guess thats why i like it :D i probably do need a new laptop (esp for writing notes at uni where i have 8hrs straight and my current battery only lasts 2hrs), but now that the ipad is out im not sure if i need a new one.

19. newdeal macrumors 68020

I bet all the people waiting for an i3/i5 13" will be disappointed when only the 17 and 15 have those and the 13 gets stuck with the core 2 duo

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:confused: if the 15s/17s get arrandale, so will the 13s (maybe not all at the same time)

21. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

iMovie? I've said it 562 times on these forums and I'll say it for the 563rd.

My 2.53ghz MacBook Pro moves like butter, editing 1080i video and exporting. I've NEVER said "this thing is too slow!"

It never disappoints, and it never gets as hot as the PowerBook G4's...*shivers*.

I can be exporting a video and it takes up 100% of my CPU, yet when I want to watch a movie and browse the web and watch Youtube and listen to iTunes all at the same time, MacOS X magically pulls CPU power out of SOMEWHERE (Jobs only knows) and performs without stutter. It's unbelievable, in Windows, the WHOLE system turns into a slideshow if such things happen. I've NEVER had my mouse cursor turn into a slideshow, it's the only way to explain that I never reach the limits of the system no matter what I do.

MacOS X...it's just magic.

Enjoy iMovie.

I think if you buy from Apple and they update the line within a certain number of days, they will exchange it for the difference and a restocking fee. It's better to call and ask about that.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

people are silly.. we all know that

14 days :D

23. AnaAhlawy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it.
    And yep, DoFoT9, its 14 days.

24. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

No, the difference won't be devastating. In truth, while i5 is definately quicker and a new gen of graphics cards will (almost) always be faster I would be astonished if most users would ever really notice the difference unless they had both machines side-by-side. Frankly, I'm pretty convinced that the bottleneck in modern machines is no longer the processor or GPU (unless you're doing something that taxes both those areas obviously, gaming for example) but the hard drive. We're moving larger and larger data sets around and you can really feel the difference now between traditional HDD's and SSD's. But as a large capacity SSD still seems to be made of solid gold(and priced accordingly) that's a discussion for another day.

I've recently gone from a mid-2007 17" MBP (2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4Gb, 160Gb 7,200rpm drive) to a current 2.8Ghz 15" machine with the same memory and the 500Gb 7,200rpm drive and frankly, it's not that much quicker in daily use. Oh sure, when I'm processing large numbers of photos I can feel the difference but the 17" machine wasn't exactly slow. And that, really, is my point. For the first time in my life (bearing in mind I've been around PC's since the 486 days) I didn't feel the need to upgrade because my old machine was slow. In terms of real-world performance in the last two and a half years I haven't ONCE been held up by the hardware and I really believe that for the vast majority of users current hardware levels are more than enough.

I think we've reached on odd point now where hardware continues to improve but there really aren't that many applications taking advantage of it. Gaming is an obvious exception to that, and if you're a pro user who regularly imports and works with LARGE batches of files where even a second difference per file will make a significant impact to your workflow then any boost is worthwhile. Otherwise just buy what you want and be happy with your purchase.