An idea for Apple Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bisnicks, Oct 8, 2012.

1. bisnicks macrumors regular

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but how cool would it be if Apple used data from GasBuddy to give realtime gas prices whenever you selected a gas station? I don't even think Android has this yet...

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yup, somebody mentioned this at 9to5 Mac a few months ago. It's really great idea. Did you e-mail to Tim Cook yet? :D

3. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

But why integrate it into Maps when it can just be an app that utilizes Maps to show your local statins?

4. matttye macrumors 601

So you only have to use the one app. More user friendly.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

To integrate with SIRI so you can ask her. I heard GasBuddy is pretty accurate.

6. boba7523 macrumors regular

Waze and other navigation apps already have it. Apple is a bit behind

7. bisnicks thread starter macrumors regular

It's been extremely accurate for me. Prices are only valid for about 24 hours I believe before they're taken down.

----------

I was unaware of this. Do they use GasBuddy for their data?

----------

Why should such a basic thing have an entire app to itself? It's pretty useful information.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No, they use their own users for the data.

9. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Why should it be its own app? Because then tell me what SHOULDN'T be integrated with maps?

You'll start getting into "layers" like on Google Maps...that's what apps are for.

10. matttye macrumors 601

What's wrong with layers? It's all integrated. Much better than having a load of different apps.

11. Edslunch macrumors member

I like the idea of apps for specialized things - they get more focus, can be more local, etc. But if I could choose which of these specialized apps projected onto the main app it would be ideal. If I'm a heavy transit user let me see transit directly there

12. matttye macrumors 601

The idea of map plugins is great, but ideally everything should be contained within the one app IMO for the best user experience.

13. bisnicks thread starter macrumors regular

I can see where you're coming from. I think that gas prices wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to add. It wouldn't be thrown on as a layer, but when you select the gas station on a map and look through info it could list it in a chart like Siri does for sports scores. Heck, it'd be nice if you could ask Siri where the cheapest gas was and to navigate to it!

14. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Asking Siri about gas prices was something I did within the first hour of getting an iPhone 5.

They should absolutely integrate GasBuddy data into Siri. Right now, depending on how you ask Siri about gas prices, it either asks you if you want to search the web for that or it says, "I can't look specifically for price range...my apologies." That's just lame.

15. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

Apple is partnering with Waze (who uses crowd sourcing for gas prices) wo maybe it will so up on Apple maps sooner rather than later.

16. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

This feature would be useless to people outside the USA and Canada so apple please don't bloat up the app for the rest of us.