An idea for Apple's Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CorvetteZR1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. CorvetteZR1 macrumors member

Instead of using a laptops gpu to drive the display, why not just build one into the cinema display and run it that way? The cinema display seems pricey enough and gpu's cheap enough for it to make sense at Apple's current price point.

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I'd kill for a ACD with a powerful GPU inside it. One atleast as powerful as the high end 27-inch iMac. Once you're pushing that many pixels you're gonna need it. And honestly, who wants to turn their games graphics settings on low to play a game on their amazing display?

3. CorvetteZR1 thread starter macrumors member

Agreed.

4. inertiat macrumors member

Double agreed, was just thinking of this! It must be the way forward

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Nice idea, but even Thunderbolt isn't currently fast enough to transfer the data of todays graphics chips. We would need something several times faster.

6. misterbig macrumors member

That's exactly what Anand suggested in his video review of the TBD. It makes a lot of sense and does seem like the way to go, but I doubt Apple will ever make such a display. The TBD is expensive enough as it is, and adding a GPU into it will only increase the price, probably by a good $200. How many people would shell out $1199 for a display with an non-upgradable GPU? My guess is not many.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Definitely not 16x PCIe, but I believe it'll do 8x or 4x. That plus a mid-range GPU should still be faster than integrated graphics.

8. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I dunno, if you did this you would practically have an iMac. I don't think the costs make sense over just getting an iMac.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Because you can't disconnect the iMac's CPU and take it with you.