An idea for the MacBook Redesign

What do you think looks better?

• Total voters

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Whenever I unbox a MacBook Pro or the Air, I always like the way it looks on the plastic wrapper, because it's glossy. It's not that I hate the way it looks matte, but I think it looks better glossy.

What do you think is best?

jacktorrance

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
Aluminium is not glossy.

To make the case glossy, you would need to cover the aluminium in a coating of plastic.

The case would then lose all of the tactile qualities of the aluminium and would essentially become a plastic case much like many of the other laptops available.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I dunno - apple seems to want to send the message that their pro line is for serious work with its rugged, serious and no-nonsense look. Colouring then may make the laptops lose this impression.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Not necessarily. I was thinking about if Apple can make "polished" Aluminium like the ones they had on the iPod nano (5th generation).

That looks good... I wonder what it looks like on the Pro. Probably like the first iMac. Anyways, I just want to see the gloss.

----------

I dunno - apple seems to want to send the message that their pro line is for serious work with its rugged, serious and no-nonsense look. Colouring then may make the laptops lose this impression.
It's not about coloring the MacBook Pro. It's about showing that Aluminum can be glossy, contradicting the earlier statement that the MacBook Pro needs to have a thin plastic cover to make it glossy.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It's not about coloring the MacBook Pro. It's about showing that Aluminum can be glossy
While a new glossy finish may look good, I didn't like the glossy iPod nano's and preferred the matte ones because they are more scratch resistant. The frosted matte anodisation hides the scratches while a scratch on a glossy surface can look terrible.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Standard ALU for me. I'm not liking that glossy look.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course you can do this yourself with colorware ;)

Here's an example of not only being glossy but colorful too :)

I actually like the black version personally but I'd not spend the $$ or take a chance on them damaging my MBP

Attachments

Last edited:

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
Shiny, glossy, reflective same thing? :)
No, not really..

Glossy is glass, plastic - which reflects light/other stuff as they are, no blurriness.

Shiny is metal, which reflects only light/shadows and it's blurred.

Example:

Shiny:

Glossy:

Not the best definition, but hope the example helps.

To be not off topic: I don't like the glossy MacBook :)

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The current finish (call it what you want!) doesn't show fingerprints or scratches as much as a more reflective surface.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
The current finish (call it what you want!) doesn't show fingerprints or scratches as much as a more reflective surface.
We have screens. Every Mac user, no matter how paranoid they are about keeping their mac safe, will touch and somehow leave fingerprints on the screen. And we're ready for that with a Microfiber cleaning cloth.

Besides, the white MacBook had a plastic polycarbonate that is easy to smudge up and I hear no one complaining.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
lets see....ipod nano 5th gen had shiny alunimum?

i think it would loook pretty sexy along with the glass screen

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
We have screens. Every Mac user, no matter how paranoid they are about keeping their mac safe, will touch and somehow leave fingerprints on the screen. And we're ready for that with a Microfiber cleaning cloth.

Besides, the white MacBook had a plastic polycarbonate that is easy to smudge up and I hear no one complaining.
That's because no one's bought one in years. ;)

My friend owned one and that case defined beat-up faded and discoloured. Cleaning wouldn't help it.

And of course the body can be cleaned, but unlike the screen we touch it constantly. I'm not interested in having it look smudged 100% of the time.