An Idea For The Ultra Portable....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isaack, Nov 21, 2007.

1. isaack macrumors newbie

This is more of a theoretical idea rather than one i personally believe (or know) would be possible and all i really want to hear is what people think (feel free to be critical). Would it be possible to have an ultra-portable platform that acted more so like a remote desktop (if that makes sense); a sort of link to your base computer rather than being a conventional stand alone system in itself? if not possible today, what sort of environment would need to exist to make this possible?

also sorry for making another thread in relation to the ultra-portable, its just i wanted more of a direct answer, rather than posting this in an existing thread.

thanks guys

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

3. isaack thread starter macrumors newbie

to function some what like a small macbook, with access to the harddrive of your base computer.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So basically a remote screen for your home computer?

Would be cool because then you wouldn't have to sync any work between the two because it will be the same file.

You would need a small local OS to be able to configure it and connect etc.

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Sounds appealing from a functional standpoint, but it's difficult to imagine this concept being practical in the real world. I fear you'd be forever battling NAT incompatibilities and poor consumer upstream bandwidth and the reality would be far less usable than you'd want.

It would work great when you just wanted to sit on your patio and use a computer, but you'd end up completely shut down and without a workable machine in some random hotel room when you were traveling because the hotel's three layers of flaky NAT prevent you from being able to bypass your own NAT at home. Or it would work but just be painfully slow because the kid next door to your house is busy bittorrenting Avril Lavigne albums and using up all the neighborhood's cable modem upstream bandwidth.