An idea to solve an annoying issue! But how?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chelsel, Sep 23, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

Here's an idea to help with the annoying issue of the Finder becoming the active application if you misclick or miss the resize button and click through to the desktop below... normally, if you accidentally click the desktop then focus is taken away from the application you were working on to the Finder... oftentimes this is very incorrect behavior...

What if you could IGNORE THE CLICK on the desktop... for example, if it's a single click, even a double click then the action is ignored and focus doesn't switch to the Finder...

It usually doesn't make any sense to activate the desktop for the accidental use-case anyway... does anyone have any idea how you could discard those clicks that hit the desktop but aren't part of a drag or click on a target?

Thanks,

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

a problem would arise however when you need to access a folder or drive icon on the desktop. I guess the easiest answer to the problem would require the action needing a (command-click) to access the finder/desktop.

3. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I've never found that annoying, in fact I think it is the correct behavior... it's a person clicking on it by accident that is incorrect.

That said, if it really bothers you there is always the option to quit the finder altogether. If you use the sidebar you can get to a lot of what the finder does anyway. I don't think there is a compromise though— it's either get all the features of finder or quit finder.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't see why clicking on the Dock or the window itself wouldn't be easier. The last window you were working in would logically still be the first one that's visible.

5. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

I found the solution to the Finder popping up out of nowhere... I'm not sure what the actual global preference is, but using MacPilot, the first option for the Finder tab is 'Show Icons on the Desktop'.

If you DISABLE SHOW ICONS ON THE DESKTOP then you have effectively disabled the Finder appearing when you don't really want it... another effect is that you no longer have the Mac HD and other files on your desktop... but the easy, and probably cleaner solution anyway, is to drag the Mac HD to the Dock when you need to launch a finder!

95% perfect solution for me!

Cliff.