An Ideal iPod Replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TomB88, Jun 10, 2008.

1. TomB88 macrumors member

Hi everyone, I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice regarding the dilemma I find myself in post-WWDC08. You see, I've had a 30GB 5G iPod for well over two years now, and have for a while been looking out for a replacement.

Basically, the problem I face is this: the new iPhone has all the features I've been looking for bar one - 32GB of storage, a must for me. It's a great phone and iPod, and comes on PAYG (I'm in UK). The iPod touch, while it does have 32GB, is looking mighty expensive next to the new 3G iPhone and has the added disadvantages of not having external volume buttons and, obviously, not being a phone (not a dealbreaker, but it's one more device to carry round).

So my question is this (sorry for being long-winded): Which do you think is more likely to come first, a 3G iPhone with 32GB of storage, or a touch refresh which would incorporate a price drop and potentially a hardware revision including volume buttons? How long do you reckon I'd be waiting, and which would you recommend?

My current iPod will probably give up the ghost for good in 3 or 4 months time, so I guess there's no real rush. I'm just waiting for an iPod that checks all the essential boxes (multi-touch interface, 32GB, 3G and PAYG if a phone, external volume controls). Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. HarryMac macrumors newbie

Well to be honest, i wouldn't expect the 16GB iphone to be any less expensive than the 32GB touch on PAYG, and if a 32GB was announced, it would almost certainly be more. If you aren't that fussed about the phone, get the touch.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

32GB iPod Touch, while expensive, does not come with a huge monthly bill as does the iPhone, haha.

I believe iPod Touch updates will come after the back-to-school special, so I would say anywhere between September - November. At the latest, you'd be waiting till Jan. 2009 (MWSF). I do think if they bumped up the iPhone capacities, they would do it around the same time as the iPod Touch, so you're looking at the same timeline.

If you can foot the bill then I would get the iPhone because it's also got stuff like GPS, 3G, camera, etc. Nice to only have to carry around one device.