An iFlip!! a macbook air/iphone concept phone!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneconcepts, Mar 9, 2009.

1. iphoneconcepts macrumors newbie

As much as we love the iphone and iphone 3G a more versatile flip-iphone with the same basic appearance as a macbook air would be pretty awesome. Apple has not in anyway stated this product could or would ever be available, but we have created some concept ideas that we thought would be pretty neat. Apple has stated they do not plan on having any net-books, but why not turn your cell phone into a mini net book? Here we have taken the macbook air, shrunk it down to about iphone size and then put a screen in place of the keyboard, we have named this bottom screen. This screen would be just like the current iphones screen and would be used as a keyboard when typing. During games it could be used a control pad and would work for easier texting, emailing, and all over use.

Here you see the top screen which would again be an iphone screen. here you would have your icons and normal iphone layout. To use an icon you would still tap on the one you want on that screen, but to scroll through your icons you would use a scroll bar on the bottom screen. Here is a picture of the top screen while you are home.
    macphone screen.jpg

Above you see a picture of the top screen.

macphone screen2 copy.jpg

Above you see a picture of the bottom screen.

Now you may be wondering how could this possibly be used as a phone...

The top screen will fold back behind screen one. So basically the top screen can do a full 360 degree turn so that the backs are touching, based off the same way a normal macbook screen opens, except this would have to have a double hinge. At first this may seem dumb but here are a few benefits. First off you would now be able to webcam, much like current net books, the webcam would be on the top middle of the top screen. This way you could webcam when the iFlip was in net book mode, meaning it was open like a laptop; and when the iFlip was in phone mode, meaning the bottom screen, was wrapped all the way back, the webcam would turn into a camera/video camera!!

Extra awesome features that may or may not be possible...

THE ABILITY TO MINIMIZE!!!! - with this new design you would have the ability to minimize applications and reopen them... in the corner of every open app on the top screen there is a minimize bottom, every time an app is minimized it is put on your bottom screen, put is not exited out. then from your home screen or when the bottom screen is not being used, you will have a list of all running apps and easily be able to open them up or exit out of them.

With the ability to fold back 180 degrees and lay flat open you could now play games versus other people... games such as ping pong or tennis could possibly be played.

With edition of an extra screen and having a real net-book/phone the only real inconvenience would be the added weight, the idea could even be impossible right now due to the size of everything needed and the weight. bust consider this, a micro SD can already support up to 8GB and remember this is only a concept idea!!

if you like the idea of this iFlip, then please help out with names... we have so far come up with iFlip and PhoneBook!!

Also please excuse the fact that the photoshopping is not perfect and if anyone thinks they can do it better, please go ahead!!

:apple:Why go ahead and do this concept iFlip?? well because we love the iphone.... we love it sooo much that we dream of how it could be better. we think up ideas because we as the consumers are the ultimate influence, Plus its fun!!! The iphone is the most amazing piece of technology out there, and we dream of it staying that way in the near future.:apple:

if you like the idea or have any suggestions or critisizms LET US KNOW, you can email us at iphoneconcepts@yahoo.com

Written By and Concept Ideas By Ryan Salame
    Concept Ideas and Photo Editing By Ryan Vandervoort

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That'd be pretty cool and all, but like, how would you type on a virtual keyboard?

I mean, its easy if you're looking at the screen, but if this was used for netbook functions, then that'd be pretty awkward.

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I'd rather see a keyboard on the bottom half. Touch-screens are just a novelty and are really clumsy when they are the only input method. Give me a touch-screen and keyboard and i will be happy, if not just a keyboard will work.

4. iphoneconcepts thread starter macrumors newbie

that is true it would take a while to get used to typing... but i think it would be possible. not to mention since it woudl be used as a laptop, it would prolly have bluetooth to link to an external keyboard if it was really problem, but i think you could just type on it like you do the iphone

5. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I thought of the same thing, but then I thought of how the keyboard would suck. "Possible" isn't good enough.

I think it'd be interesting if they made a keyboard with keys similar to the iPod click wheel - so they'd be separate physical buttons but still touch-sensitive. Could have a normal keyboard but still be able to use it for gestures and stuff, or as a trackpad on a touch-less netbook. Then there's the problem of the computer knowing when to use it as a trackpad and when to use it as a keyboard though.

6. iphoneconcepts thread starter macrumors newbie

thats not a bad idea!!!, the lack of keyboard i guess is a downfall. but depending on which app you had open, would be wether a keyboard was open or not. the reason we did a virtual keyboard was so it wasnt always a keyboard. and it would be the same keyboard as the iphone has now in horizontal mode. you would have to two finger type and that would be tough but still would work

7. spikedfo macrumors regular

Agree. I dont think this keyboard would let me feel fluent when I chat with someone via IM.

8. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

ugh, i despise flip phones so much. that thing looks hideous and flimsy.

9. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Perhaps a slider, Admiral. Slide the keyboard out when you need it, when you dont it looks like an iPhone. It makes the whole unit a bit thicker, but its worth it in order to feel actual buttons.

10. iphoneconcepts thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the ...positive?... critisizm Admiral

and thats a really good idea bandit

11. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

nah dude. minimal moving parts is one of the best things about the iphone's design. i wouldn't even consider something with a slider or a hinge.

12. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Your idea might be more than just an idea. Read this from FORBES...
    http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/09/ap...y-enterprise-tech-apple.html?partner=yahootix

"Taiwanese manufacturer Wintek will supply the touch panels for an Apple device of some kind, possibly a netbook, that will launch by the third quarter."
    "Here's what we know: Apple purchased PA Semi, a chip designer that builds powerful, power-sipping processors for the U.S. military, for $278 million in cash last year. Then Apple slugged it out in court with IBM to grab IBM chip designer turned blade-server honcho Mark Papermaster. It then put Papermaster in charge of its iPod and iPhone hardware. And now it looks as if Apple has placed orders for a whole bunch of touch screens."

13. iphoneconcepts thread starter macrumors newbie

i disagree completely that it is one of the best things about an iphone, i feel as if everything available for the iphone is what makes it so great. and it wouldn't be flimsy it would be as sturdy if not more sturdy than the macbook air. :confused:

14. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

sounds cool.

Would it not be a bit weird touching the screen if it is standing up, especially if its fairly small?

Also if both sides of the iFlip were fairly similar weight wise would it not tip a bit when folded out?

Also i kind of realize the point about it being a phone and a net book but i would never use something that big (judging the size from the size of the icons on the screen) as a traditional hold it to you ear type phone which is the point of being able to flip it around right? rather i would use it as a sit in front of web cam/speak over internet phone.

Dunno, just my thoughts really.

Cool idea maybe u should pitch it to apple. (after you have got a patent for it)

15. iphoneconcepts thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, the bottom would be a little heavier and i understand what you mean about holding it to your ear, the icons are actually slightly smaller than original. The size of the whole thing was designed to only be a little larger than the current iphone... but as for a patent, we would have no way of making one to patent it.

16. Dudeman486 macrumors member

you could have somewhat the same design as the LG versa

it has a touch screen and a detachable qwerty keyboard. you can also attach other parts like a gamepad etc.

this concept could use something like that. either touch screen/touch screen, touch screen/keyboard, or whatever!

nice mockup btw

17. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Someone from engadget demoed the Palm Pre on Late Night and it looks pretty sweet. Sliding keyboard, multi-tasking, copy/paste... It seems like it has everything the iPhone doesnt. If the Pre has a good store or a more open development platform it might give apple a run for their money. Imo, the Pre is what the iPhone should have been, in terms of hardware and OS, that is. We'll see about 3rd party apps.

18. iphoneconcepts thread starter macrumors newbie

netbook

from the looks of it, apple might be creating their netbook with a touch screen!!!!

19. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I don't much about patents but do you actualy have to build something to patent it? I mean some of the apple patents on mac rumors don't look like they have been built like the one about controling your phone with your eyes.

20. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

You can pretty much patent anything, you dont have to build it. Companies patent junk all the time just so their competitors cant use it, even if the company getting the patent doesnt plan on using it.

21. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz